14 • Nobody Love You Like I Do (Happier Part 3)

Spencer's phone vibrated on her nightstand. She was in bed, somewhere between awake and asleep. Normally she would've just let it go and checked it the morning but she couldn't leave it knowing who it was most likely from.

She rolled over, picked her phone up and read the messages from "Tobes" (his contact name still the same as the last time she'd sent him a message) with her heart in her mouth.

Okay, so the girl he was dating is actually his new employee and apparently gay, that made her assumption a little embarrassing but she could get over that.

But his next message made her heart speed up and her face flush. "No one could make me happier than you did. No one." Spencer didn't realise how much she missed him until that moment.

He always was a little cheesy.

She immediately sent her reply. "Our spot. 15 minutes."

Followed by "Please".

Again, her phone vibrated.

1 New Message from: Tobes

"See you there."

Spencer scrambled out of bed and ran over to her closet. What the hell was she meant to wear?? Most of her clothes were back in her apartment in Philly and she can't remember ever reading a dress code for "Talking to the ex you're still hopelessly in love with for the first time in 3 years."

She only had 5 mins to get ready, she had to drive 10 mins away. She decided on a flowy white shirt and a pair of jeans. Casual, but still decent.

She didn't have enough time for makeup, but that was okay, Toby had always said he preferred her natural anyway.

She pulled on a pair of sneakers and bolted out the door, telling her mom she'd probably be back within the hour. Secretly she hoped not, but she was trying to not to get ahead of herself.

She tried to calm herself on the drive there, if for no other reason not to get stopped by a traffic cop.

She pulled up to their place: Lookout Point.

He was already there, sitting on the bumper of the same truck she'd bought him all those years ago.

His head snapped from staring at the little lit up Rosewood below to Spencer climbing out her car.

He jumped off the truck and met her in the middle, their eyes connected and he pulled her into a strong, tight, embrace.

He felt Spencer begin to cry as they hugged and when they pulled away she began to talk.

"I'm so sorry. For everything. For letting you walk out of that dorm and not going after you. For letting you think it was your fault. For not fighting for you. For not texting or calling or seeing if you were okay. God, Toby, I'm so sorry." She cried.

Toby had be holding onto her arms throughout this but now gently moved his hand up to her cheek, wiped away her tears and softly pushed her hair back behind her ear.

He pulled her into his arms and let her cry into his shirt.

He took a deep breath and said "Remember what I said Spence? You never have to say you're sorry."

This just made Spencer cry harder.

"I'm the one who should be sorry, I'm sorry for walking out when you needed me most, I'm sorry for not checking up on you, for thinking you'd find someone better, someone who deserves you more than I did. I'm sorry that I let you go. I'm never going to forgive myself."

It was Spencer who gently pulled away this time. She softly laughed through her tears and moved her hand up to run her fingers through his hair.

"I could never find someone better. You're the best person I've ever known Toby Cavanaugh"

Toby was crying now, and he took the hand that was running through his hair and brought it to his lips, he gently kissed it and whispered "I never want to live without you again."

Spencer smiled, a truly genuine, real smile and replied "Me neither. I never, not for a second stopped loving you."

Toby pulled her closer.

"Neither did I." He whispered into her hair.

And so they stood, two lovers reunited, overlooking the town that had beaten them down but now somehow, brought them back together.

Both of them knew in that exact moment that nothing would ever be able to make them as happy as each other.

Nothing.