27 • Empire

Tobias Cavanaugh. The untouchable bad boy of the Upper East Side. More money and power than he knew what to do with and a non-existent set of morals to go with them.

Anyone who was anyone knew all about him and the endless trail of scandal that seemed to follow him. You could hardly go a day without hearing yet another wild story about him, usually involving parties, girls and drugs.

Every guy wanted to be him and every girl wanted him. Every girl that is, except Spencer Hastings.

The only place Spencer and Toby overlapped was at The Dalton School. They were both in their junior year but on very different ends of the social and academic spectrum.

Spencer was a scholarship student, and though her parents were pretty successful lawyers, she didn't have the insane amounts of cash required to pay the fees.

After all, the school was aimed at the social and financial elite, a ridiculously exclusive minority under which she did not fall.

Her family lived in a nice 3 bedroom apartment in Greenwich Village and did well for themselves but Spencer knew she never had and never would fit in the students at Dalton.

She didn't care about their gossip, she didn't really want to go to their parties and she thought all their "high society" events were laughably tacky.

She kept her head down and worked hard, trying to make the absolute most of the opportunity she'd been given to realise her dream of getting into an Ivy.

Toby on the other hand, walked the same halls, sat in the same classrooms and heard all the same shit from teachers but could not care or work less. He knew he'd inherit his father's multi-billion dollar company and currently had enough money to allow him to live the most lavish lifestyle several lifetimes over. He didn't need school, the school needed him and his father's continuous very generous donations (which everyone knew was the only reason Toby hadn't been kicked out yet).

Neither one of them ever gave the other a second glance. Spencer had never tried to get into Toby's pants or shown any sort of sign she was interested in him and Toby was only ever interested in girls who were willing to do anything to be with him, even just for a night.

In fact, the pair would likely never have interacted if it weren't for the afternoon they were both called to their Principle's office. Principal Housen was a strict, no-nonsense sort of woman who every student (except Toby of course) was secretly scared of but would never admit it. When she told you to do something, you did it. Even Toby would rarely directly disobey her.

"Ah, Miss Hastings, Mr Cavanaugh, come in please." she said, beckoning both of them into the well designed, expensive looking office.

"I'm sure you're both wondering why you've been called here, after all you're on quite opposite ends of the Academic spectrum." she said, going to sit behind her desk as the other two took their seats in front of it, her last comment causing Toby to roll his eyes.

Principle Housen continued unfazed, "That's actually why we've called you in here. Mr Cavanaugh appears to be having some trouble with French."

Oh no. No, no, no, no. Spencer thought, she knew where this was going and she could and would not be forced into tutoring Toby Cavanaugh.

"And we figured since you are here on a language scholarship, Miss Hastings, you'd be the perfect tutor." she finished.

Spencer looked horrified at Toby, who, in classic Toby fashion, seemed to be enjoying this far too much.

"Principle Housen, I would love to but-" Spencer began to protest before she was cut off.

"Great, then it's settled. You will tutor Mr Cavanaugh weekly until his grades improve. Who knows, maybe you'll both get something out of it." she said pointedly.