21 • Parenting

Oh God. This was scary. Like really , really scary.

For the first time ever, Spencer was being left alone with Noah, her boyfriend Toby's 4 year old. Obviously she'd met Noah before countless times, in fact, she'd met Noah before she'd met Toby. She and Toby had been together for a year and a half now so it wasn't like they were total strangers, she spent a lot of weekends and evenings over at Toby's house and had discovered herself developing a close connection with her boyfriend's son.

Obviously, the situation wasn't totally ideal, it was hard being a part of a child's life without actually being their parent. She always felt like she couldn't discipline Noah in case it seemed like she was over-stepping. She never knew how far was too far or if she was being too distant with him. In all honesty, Spencer just didn't think she was very good with kids.

Toby disagreed. He saw how Spencer was with his little boy, they had grown close very quickly and he knew that if they were to break up, it would hit Noah just as hard as it would hit him. Spencer was gentle with Noah, caring, took time to explain things the little boy didn't understand and seeing them together warmed Toby's heart.

Noah's mom, Yvonne, was awful. She'd trapped Toby in a relationship he hadn't been happy in for a long time by lying to him and saying she was on birth control, to make sure she got pregnant. She knew Toby was too good a man to leave her pregnant with his child so it made sure he would stick around. Everything changed once Noah was actually born. Yvonne found herself resenting her little boy because he took all of Toby's attention away from her and focussed it on him. She didn't particularly want a child in the first place, she just wanted a way to make sure that Toby was tied down to her and couldn't leave her.

It only took until Noah was 6 months old for her to present Toby with a ridiculous ultimatum: give Noah away or she would leave him alone with their baby. Toby couldn't believe it when he asked her. This was her own son she was talking about, her own baby and she was jealous of him because he needed attention. It was a no-brainer for Toby. He would pick Noah over anything and everyone. In a way he was almost relieved when Yvonne told him to pick. He finally had a reason to never ever see her again and he could focus all his energy on providing for and raising his son.

Yvonne left, absolutely furious and screaming at Toby, telling him he was going to regret that decision and that she wished she'd never had Noah.

It was hard at first, while Yvonne hadn't been a good mother and had left pretty much everything Noah-related down to Toby, at least she had been there. She'd done the shopping and most of the cooking and cleaning whilst Toby was at work. Now Toby had to find a new way of balancing his job and his baby. And he did. It took a little while and a LOT of help from his best friend Caleb but before too long he was able to juggle Noah and his new role as a detective in the Rosewood P.D.

He relied on Caleb and Caleb's fiancée Hanna a lot for childcare and he was so grateful for them. After daycare either Hannah or Caleb would pick Noah up and keep him at their house until Toby finished work and could go get him.

A year and a half after Yvonne left, Toby was on his way to Hanna and Caleb's to pick up a now 2 year old Noah. It was chilly that night and Toby was praying that the heat was working in the house again, it had broken a few days before and had stressed Toby out to the max when he realised that Noah had developed a pretty severe cold because of it.

When he knocked on the door Caleb opened it and smiled. "Hey man, Noah's in the kitchen with Hannah and one of her friends from high school."

"Cool, look I know I say it every time-"  Toby started before getting cut off by Caleb throwing his head back and letting out a groan.