04.1

The sky was overcast when the sprawling city of Momuji finally rose into view

The sky was overcast when the sprawling city of Momuji finally rose into view. Cliffs lined the shore, stretching in from the east and disappearing north into the coastal terrace whereupon the city slept, safely nestled in its shadow. A wide canal separated the metropolis: Momuji East—which the people called Tanmoji—at the foot of the cliffs, home to the castle complex that rose upon the plateau above; and Ruumoji in the west with its bustling harbor already stirring to life even in the cusp of dawn.

It was here their bhatara berthed, flat against the embankment. The city had been built upon a low bluff some fifty feet above the water, with another thirty feet stone-and-mortar wall fronting the ocean-side. The passengers waiting to disembark spoke of a slumbering volcano further west of the archipelago. Its silhouette was visible, although shrouded in the distance. They said it would stir every so often in its sleep, sending a rumble deep in the ocean floor that would raise the canal close to its brim. But when it was angry, a raj whispered, it would send a wave that even the seawall could not withstand.

The women attending to his tale gasped as though thrilled at the very image, but their voices soon drowned as the Porasawan merchant and his crew of porters came pushing through the ramp, waving what he purported to be an important summons from the Emperor himself. Isla pulled Tam Mai close, but not before the merchant shoved her out of his way. Even the highborn passengers were not safe in his path. They cursed and sniffed, some even going so far as to harassing him down to the quay.

Tam Mai tugged on Isla's sleeve. She turned to see a grin plastered all over her sister's face. 'What have you done this time?'

'I took this from his pocket.' She opened her hand, three phials gleamed under the lamplights. Isla snatched it quickly before anyone could see.

'You have sticky fingers, Tamma. Did anyone ever tell you that?'

'Yes! Noi did,' she said proudly. Isla let it go. Just this once. She was too tired to press the matter.

Besides, the merchant had disappeared down the quay and up the embankment where the ramp met the bridge. Three bridges connected the Momuji sister-cities, each spread at equal intervals along the canal. The fourth was a narrow castle bridge, patrolled by at least half a dozen guards, judging by their flickering lanterns.

It was close to this area where Isla found a suitable inn. Uchisae Hokkan. Little Sister's Place. She did not speak their language, but she had heard enough to recognise the words. A hokkan was what the Tsun called their typical lodgers' accomodations. This one was a hidden thing; sharing walls with the castle bridge on its south, overlooking the canal on its east, and flanked north by a feeder channel. Isla would have missed it were it not for the drunken man lumbering out with his equally intoxicated friend. Only once she was inside, asking for a room for two in her inelegant Common Kapuluan did she realise the hokkan would be one of those frequented predominantly by castle guards and city soldiers.