24.1

'So you are unable to remove it?'

The therapeut dropped his gaze, which told Kiet everything. 'I can, but ... you may as well ask me to remove a man's teeth or pluck out his nails. It is possible, but will probably only debilitate the creature.'

'You compare a tumour to teeth?'

'I've inspected many tumours before; so much so I can sense even the roots of a malignant growth. But this one ...' Without prompting they both turned to the swiftlet on its perch—a new installment in his late mother's menagerie—happily nibbling away at a cluster of grapes. The therapeut laid a hand upon the crown of its head and pressed gently down. 'It indeed feels more akin to the growth of a tooth rather than an abnormality. The pranopeucy you fed it ... it must have integrated so thoroughly, the body is adapting to its manifestations as though a natural part of its own development.'

'I thought as much.' Kiet had first felt it aboard the ship. A lump upon the swiftlet's head; small but smooth and firm. He hoped it had been an injury—perhaps a bad scuffle with one of those vicious gulls—but deep down he knew. 'So it will not kill the bird?'

'I don't know, maharaj. Not immediately, I think. But therapeucy is intended more for intervention and examination of the human body ... our senses when it comes to creatures are extremely limited.'

Kiet checked above its ears, where the surface of its skin opened just where the lump came to a head. The epidermal pore was no larger than the tip of a child's little finger, but even then it was bigger than before. Still it was not that which troubled him. 'This one is new. But a few weeks ago was this area clear. Do you think more will yet come?'

'That is very much possible.' The therapeut leaned in to inspect it. 'It looks like the imprint of a fingernail.'

'He's growing fingernails all over his skin?'

'Fingernails, bear claws ... on the skin, it would likely manifest as scales.'

A scaled swiftlet. Kiet sighed. 'As far as consequences go, it could be much worse.'

'I would not breathe of relief just yet, maharaj. It is already larger than any swiftlet has a right to be, and it is far from finished growing. Your pranopeucy fuels it. That much I can sense. We can only hope its internal functions can sustain its size. I suggest you call for a sattwapeut to further inspect it.'

'If I knew of a reputable one, they would be already here.'

'My father has a sattwapeut in his court, uncle, surely you know?'

Kiet grimaced at the voice. He had little patience now for a battle of abuse.

He thanked the therapeut before turning to meet Khaisan. The crown prince strut down the stone pathway through the menagerie, hands behind his back as though to admire the herbs and flowers he certainly could not name.