17.1

It was not every day one could acquire a blessing from the Emperor, and Yui did not hide her excitement at the prospect

It was not every day one could acquire a blessing from the Emperor, and Yui did not hide her excitement at the prospect. For that reason alone Isla suffered the queue into the Spring Hall.

"Cheer up, Eldest. He'll be in there, too." Tam Mai's voice slithered into Isla's head.

Stop that.

"Mind-speaking, or speaking about him?"

Both.

Tam Mai giggled, took a bite of her skewered fish cake. The line moved four paces forward. At least the Spring Hall was high enough they had an unobstructed view of the grounds. Vendors pulling sugar into silky-smooth rolls of thousand-thread candy, children fishing at the koi stalls. Isla watched the temple gates, but saw no sign of Eshe. 'She's really late.'

'Good thing we have time to wait.' Yui grinned.

'She could have at least sent a messenger ahead to let us know.'

She gave the temple grounds one last sweep. Over by the gardens, women in persimmon shrine robes danced to the accompaniment of two kokyū players. The air resonated with their rich highs and woody lows.

Isla sighted him across the dancers.

He sat on a raised platform set between the fringetrees, absently playing with his paper fan. Isla saw now why Yui had called him intimidating. Irritation dripped from his face, though to her its source was clear. Even alone in a public sphere his guards still tailed him. They stood bracketing his platform, watching not the show, but the truth-weaver in his seat.

The line was moving at a snail pace, Eshe was missing, and Isla did not particularly want to face the Emperor anyway. 'Tam Mai, stay here with Yui-dae.'

'Are you going to wait for Eshe at the gate?'

'I'm just taking a quick look around. I won't be long.'

'It'd be rude to just hop back in front of the line!'

'Then I'll wait for you by the door while you go inside, all right?'

Yui caught Isla's look and squeezed Tam Mai into silence. 'Tamma-uchi had better finish that fish cake, or they won't let any of us in!'

Isla nodded her thanks and hurried down the temple steps.

The truth-weaver was so surprised to see her, he dropped his fan and rose from his excruciatingly low seat. His guards moved in to stop her at first, but exchanged a tired glance upon recognising her face. They did not even bother to check her, this time. If they had, they would have found the dagger behind her jin-sang.

'Damesae.' Taeichi helped her up the platform, eyeing his guards. 'Have you come to watch the dance with me?'

'You looked like you could use the company. This is quite a large platform for one man to sit alone.'