27.2

❖ ❖ ❖

'Where have you been?' Jinsei rose from a bench just as Isla turned a corner of the hedge maze leading into Rajini Chei's estate.

Has he been waiting there all day? The last of the evening eight-bells had just been struck, the sky stretched dark already for an hour. 'Visiting an old acquaintance.'

His eyes trailed to the bundled cloak in her hands. 'Tamma-uchi did not come to her training again this morning.'

Ifrit's breath, that child. 'She probably feels awkward about meeting you.'

'Truly? So what must I do?'

'I don't know, Jin-assa ... just act normal around her. Be your impervious self.'

He followed her down the shadowed path, gaslight posts hissing along alcoves cut into the seamless wall of yew surrounding them. 'I did not see her during the trial yesterday, either.'

'She's supposed to avoid being within the Maha Rama's presence.' Isla paused before a split in the maze.

Jinsei motioned to their right. 'Have you given thought on my offer?'

Isla took the turn. 'I'm afraid I haven't had the time nor energy to think upon anything but the trial, recently.'

'I understand.'

'With the execution tomorrow ... it is best Tam Mai was not present. The posterior ring should be quiet; most visitors will undoubtedly be at the weeping fig. I was thinking perhaps you could take her on that ride to the city.'

'I would be most happy to, but did you not think she would see this as another decision made on her behalf?'

'If her decision is to rather watch a woman hang from a tree, then she needs Eshe's help in more ways than we thought. Besides—nobody's deciding anything. I only thought you could ask her. If it came from you ...'

He sighed through a smile. 'I shall ask her tonight.'

That settles it.

They cleared a stretch of the yew maze, and out of the darkness before them came the silhouette of Rajini Chei's estate, slowly fading into view. Lights wavered through a countless scatter of windows, smoke drifted across the pale moon overhead. The soldiers standing guard let them through without a word, already accustomed to Isla's comings and goings; but the servant who opened the door for them pulled her to a stop.

'The rajini requests your presence in the tea room.'

Jinsei looked at Isla and waited, playing with the paper fan currently folded in his hands.

'You know where Tam Mai's chambers are.'

He nodded after a moment's hesitation. 'Very well. Good night.'

Isla followed the servant into the tea room; a small chamber built into one corner of the estate. Long, slim windows filtered moonlight over a table, paper lanterns hung low from the deck wood ceiling. Her grandmother sat, glowing in the warmth of the room, her face towards the window. A teapot steamed upon its ceramic candle holder, two cups already lain out upon the table.

The servant bowed out of the room, sliding the door shut. Isla braced herself and knelt across the rajini.

'You've been busy.' She did not turn when she spoke.

Isla reached across the table and poured the drinks for them. 'If you mean the trial, yesterday was the last day. I'm sorry you could not attend.'

'Oh, I attended.' Finally she looked at Isla, revealing eyes glazed blue and clouded.