04.2

❖ ❖ ❖

The sun was setting when the clay roof tiles of her hokkan rose into view. She arrived in time for the changing of guards; the bar was already filled with men coming off-duty. After six days, Isla had learnt their schedule, even recognised several faces. The soldiers here were unlike those of Beltaer. Eling soldiers were often rowdy. The more vulgar they were, the more it seemed their friends were impressed.

These Tsun men seemed, on the other hand, to lie on the opposite spectrum. Polite, almost afraid of contact.

So they should be. It suited Isla, made her worry less of leaving Tam Mai alone while she went digging for information.

'Another fruitless day?' The barmaid stopped her before she retreated into the private hallway. 'Shall I send dinner to your room?'

'The usual if you could, Yui ... dae.' She tacked on the honorific at the last moment, still unaccustomed to the Tsun etiquette.

'If I may offer a suggestion?' Yui's voice waffled with hesitance. 'Some of my customers might be able to help.'

Isla raised an eyebrow. She had learnt all there was to learn. Emperor Gyoseong had indeed appointed a healer from Liguer, and she was indeed a long-term guest at Momuji Castle. There was only one thing Isla had not yet managed to secure. 'What, you think one of them would be willing to bring me to the castle?'

She had tried paying messengers to Eshe, but the healer was kept under strict watch and nobody could meet her without the Emperor's own approval. Her letters never passed the Imperial Warden of Letters. After bribing merchants for a trader's pass into the castle got her nowhere, Isla even considered coercing some unsuspecting guard into escorting them through the gates—but the risks were far too great. Even then, she did not know what to expect once she got beyond the cliff walls.

'Well, if one has a petition for the Emperor, their chances of an audience increase greatly if it were to be introduced by a member of his own court.'

'Why would he entertain the introductions of a common soldier?'

'General Eunkoji is no common soldier.'

Isla followed Yui's gaze to a man by the window. He sat straight by his pit table, legs folded beneath him in the formal sitting position. Tall, rigid. Hair braided into a high bun held together by a stick and wrapped in a strip of cloth in the imperial chequers of red and gold. It was difficult to guess his age. Unlike most of the older men in Tsunai, he kept his face clean; but there were lines across them that younger men did not have.

'He used to lead the Imperial Defence Force. Half the population of Momuji would not be here were it not for his sacrifices during the harbour waves some thirty years ago. Now he is the captain to the Empress's guards, though he retains his previous title and rank.'

'So the Emperor would hold him in high regard.'

'He's a good man. He'll listen to Lilja-dae's story.'

'I can't just go up to him and start talking about my problems.'

'Why not? People come to me and start talking about their problems all the time.'

Isla was not convinced. Approaching the man like any other normal human being? Without even using her theurgy? 'You get paid to do that.'

'I don't see coin in my hand right now.' Yui smirked. 'The only other option I can think of is to visit the Temple of Tennu. Only monks are permitted to board there, but it's always open for visitors. A pass is not expensive to purchase, and it'll get one through the Hancheon Gate easily enough.'