14.3

❖ ❖ ❖

'Deadman's joints.' Taeichi shrugged when he spoke, as though it were common knowledge. 'Is this really what brought you to my door, so early in the morning?'

'If the hanjeon is too unwell to receive guests, why simply not state the matter?'

'He cannot move even a finger without excruciating pain, but some days are still better for him.'

'Thank you. I'm familiar with how deadman's joints affect the body.' A disease of the muscles that came and went. In more extreme cases, it prevented a man from even walking.

That is why he looks so frail.

'You really caught me at an inconvenient time, maharaj.' Taeichi glowered over the steps of the welcome pit. He was fresh from the bath—a towel still draped over his neck, catching the last drops from his hair.

'I've spent the last few weeks being avoided, so you'll forgive my early intrusion.'

'The Emperor avoids no one. Only his duties keep him from private functions.' He pulled his morning robe tighter around his chest, hiding the glass pendant that hung from his neck, but not before Kiet noticed it. A drop of red, encased in a crystal dew-drop.

His knowledge of runes was extensive enough to recognise it immediately.

Of course the Emperor's truth-weaver was sworn to a blood-oath. He would be privy to many of the empire's secrets; it was only expected that the Divine Gyok would want to ensure his silence.

'It is unfortunate you had to learn of it this way,' continued Taeichi, 'but we do not generally speak of Haruse-himi's illness. I'm sure you understand.'

'I'm afraid not.' Kiet sieved the anger from his voice.

The longer he was kept unaware of Haruse's health, the longer would he be content with waiting idly by—was that the Emperor's plan? Keep him under control long enough at least for Haruse to die?

'He is well enough to sit for audiences, but not to accommodate a half hour of his time to speak to me. I have been given no explanations, not even excuses. This is not the Tsun courtesy lauded across the Eastern Isles.'

Taeichi's eyes narrowed. 'You expect explanation from the hanjeon, yet do not offer your own for requesting his audience.'

They know perfectly well my reasons. 'Hanjeon Haruse was once the Rajini Dhvani's secret lover. I have reason to believe he has since corresponded with her. You can appreciate that her whereabouts is a matter of great concern to the Surikh kingdom—I hope to speak to Haruse-himi, in case something in their correspondences might shed some light on some of the places to which she would seek refuge.'

Taeichi's gaze was scrutinising. Finally he stepped aside, granting access to the hall behind him. 'It is unfitting to be speaking in the kyōgan like this, surrounded by shoes. I must prepare for the morning audiences. Will you wait in the tea room?'

Kiet looked back. Akai hung still by the open door, along with two of the truth-weaver's guards. 'I'll not be long.'

One of the guards accompanied him to the tea room and sat in the hallway just outside the closed door, though for whose benefit, Kiet was unsure.

When Taeichi joined him, he was dressed for court. It was clear from the look he gave his own man that he'd prefer him gone, and he slid the door shut with such force that it shook in its frame.

He had left his blood-oath pendant over his yi-sang this time, visible between the open collar of his ceremonial robes, like he wanted Kiet to see.