11.1

Akai was right, Gods damn the man

Akai was right, Gods damn the man. He should have brought more people to Ikidojja. Not because he was concerned for their safety, but because it was so damned quiet.

The Emperor liked his apartments in the shigōkan style: four separate wings surrounding an inner courtyard, an outer courtyard for the servants' wings, together fenced from the outside world by some twelve feet of pounded earth, and only one gate in and out of the entire compound.

Kiet's servants were already trained to remain unseen, but his residence was so expansive they would never need worry of crossing the maharaj's path. His soldiers were stationed far by the gate. Only Akai shared the main residential wing with him, and that was to stand guard by its entrance.

'Maharaj.'

Speak of a donkey and in it brays. Despite his unusual irritability, Kiet was quick to open the door. 'So there are other people in this house.'

Akai stood with a servant at his shoulder, bearing a full platter. 'I've appointed you a plate-sampler. Where would you like to lunch?'

'Here is fine. Set it on the table.' He stepped aside to allow them into his bedchamber.

Akai observed as the servant arranged everything, tasting a morsel from each plate, a sip from each drink. She checked each dining reed for the maharaj, wiped every plate. 'Nothing tastes out the ordinary, maharaj.'

'Thank you. You're excused. Akai, come lunch with me.'

Akai took a cushion across his table as the servant slid the door shut behind her. 'She's one of the servants we brought from Surikhand. Her mother and grandmother before her were loyal servants to yours.'

'I have no doubts of your assessment, only question whether it is at all necessary.'

'After what happened to you just two blooming seasons ago?' Akai hid none of his annoyance. 'Forgive me for quoting a wiser man, but even the Rama knows he is not invincible.'

'I believe immortal was the term used. There is a fine distinction between the two.'

'At least use her for the duration of your stay here.'

Kiet sighed. If he was troubled by the notion that his life was more valuable than that of a servant's, then he should not have been born a maharaj. Or he should renounce his title, as better men have done. Not that it ever saved them or their loved ones, in the end. 'Make sure at least that all her needs are attended to.'

'I've also taken the liberty of having the shigōkan thoroughly checked.'

'And?'

'And it's too large for three soldiers to man.'

'Four.'

Akai scowled. 'You take things too lightly, maharaj.'

'You're right. I am complacent. You see that chest by my bed? Open it.'