09.1

Eshe had been granted a residence of her own

Eshe had been granted a residence of her own. It stood close to the outskirts of Ikidojja, upon which the outer walls of the second enclosure cast its morning shadow. Hers was not nearly as large as Taeichi's residence, but it followed the same Tsun concept: passages winding through a succession of gates, four wings separated by an inner courtyard. This time Isla and her sister were made to wait in the southern wing.

They had been there for hours, witnessed the first touch of dawn turn into dazzling sunlight from behind the paper-screen windows. At last they heard voices approaching, speaking in Common Kapuluan. 'But—Obou-nue—your friends were brought here by General Eunkoji himself.'

'I'm telling you, I do not know anyone by the name Lilja Shapor!' The paper door slid open. Eshe's wide eyes shifted from irritation to surprise.

'So soon you forget me?' Isla rose, shaking her feet awake. 'Granted, we did not travel together for long, and Lilja is an unremarkable name.'

It was a while before Eshe collected herself. She was taller than Isla remembered, or perhaps only looked moreso in contrast to the Tsun servants at her tail. Now her brows furrowed in confusion. Isla swallowed, hoping Eshe would catch—and join in—her game.

Eshe's eyes trailed to the guard standing in the corner of the room. General Eunkoji's man. He made no acknowledgments, only stood watching the door. She dismissed the maids, closed the door, and took Isla in her arms.

'I can't believe it ... it's you! After Tempestorm, I—'

'I'm sorry I left so abruptly.' Isla interrupted quickly. 'I didn't have time for goodbyes or explanations, and you deserved better than that.'

'I was so worried. I thought at first you had fallen overboard, but when I saw your bags were gone ...'

'I'll tell you all about it, I promise.' Another time.

Eshe pulled back abruptly. 'What are you doing here? How did you find me?'

'With great difficulty. You've been making a name for yourself, Eshe. We went to Bhatu, where we heard you were under the employ of House Antasena—'

'Yes ... Syuri Gyani. I left her earlier than I meant to, but these summons were urgent. How fares she?'

'Better, from what her servants say. They were the ones who told us you had gone to Tsunai.' Isla motioned for Tam Mai to stand and greet their hostess. 'This is Tam Mai. We are here under the patronage of our Rajini Chei Ametjas.'

That was the signal. Tam Mai should now be jumping into Eshe's mind to relay Isla's message, and—judging by the empath's sudden staggering sound—she had done just that.

'I see.' Eshe dropped to one of the cushions. 'Please, sit.'

Isla exchanged a glance with her sister as they lowered themselves once more onto the cushions. Did you overdo it?