18.2

❖ ❖ ❖

Akai had three more of his soldiers join them. Hardly enough to make a difference if it came down to it, but Kiet preferred not to argue long over such trivial matters. Besides, if everything went according to plan, no blood need ever be shed.

'Gyoseong will allow none of you into the audience chamber with me, is that understood?'

'But—'

'So that includes you as well, Akai. In fact for this order of business, I expect the Emperor will clear his hall of everyone but his brother and I. Perhaps the truth-weaver, too.' Kiet fixed his collar. The yi-sang felt thrice as tight over his leather armour, but it was another precaution Akai had insisted upon. 'Where is the runesmith?'

'Already at the ship, maharaj.'

'Good. Have the servants clear the compound the second we leave Ikidojja.' He secured his boots, looked over the kyōgan one last time. He'd miss the place, he realised suddenly. If he had only come under more pleasant circumstances ... if things had only not devolved so badly ...

'You're sure you're ready to leave?'

'We've run our welcome, Akai. I'm sorry you had no opportunity to explore your homeland.'

For a second, Akai's stone face cracked. 'I'm here on duty, maharaj, not to reconnect with distant relatives.'

Kiet shrugged, following his men out to the courtyard. His swiftlet swooped down from the eaves to greet him.

The sky was still a dim red, a light patter falling from the cloudless dawn. Morning seven-bells had yet to be struck. One of his men stifled a yawn. There were six in total including his captain, half of them theurgists of some kind. A dhraokin, a mind-bender—both at fourth-rank—and a third-rank ramnapeut.

'What of the rajini?' asked Akai as they marched down the archway tunnel.

'You let me flush her out. Just make sure you head immediately to the Hokudo Gate while I speak with the Emperor. Sindhu reported some movement with the caravan late last night. We only were fortunate it had become too dark and unsafe for them to leave, especially in the rain. I suspect Dhvani will make her escape to the rookery the moment the sky clears.'

Akai's lip tightened. 'And if she comes escorted by the Emperor's guards?'

'Under no circumstance is Tsun blood to be spilt. If apprehending the rajini proves impossible, your task is only to delay them from exiting the gates. I will handle the Emperor.'

They spoke no more of it once they exited the compound. Even so early in the morning were the streets all filled with soldiers clearing the rubble. Kiet would have preferred to be out there doing the same. Instead there he was, on his way to uncover their Emperor's intricate complot.

At least his men reported no great damage to the city. They had felt the tremors well enough, but none of Fukuhei's fissures extended below the cliff. Momuji's architecture was sound enough to for the most part withstand quakes, thus luckily were none of their structures flattened, either. But if Fukuhei had erupted just a little longer or just a little stronger ...

Fukuhei is the Emperor's problem. Taking the runesmith will at least prevent Gyoseong from continuing with that hare-brained idea of theirs. He will have to rely on the Terran woman to help his son.

The entrance to Ikidojja was left wide open. Men and mules streamed through—dragging empty carts into the second enclosure and hauling them, stone-loaded, back out. They rolled into the bamboo forest, taking the path towards Handojja. The forest itself was a tangle of broken stalks. While the trail to the Ganwa Gate had been cleared, the route to the castle remained cluttered and dense. They moved slowly, cutting and clearing as they went.