37.1

She came like a creature from the spirit realms, dressed in fine silk gauze, jade pins sparkling down the waves of her hair

She came like a creature from the spirit realms, dressed in fine silk gauze, jade pins sparkling down the waves of her hair. She was tall and slim, her movements languid as though wading through water. A retinue of girls helped her down the palanquin and escorted her further along the banyan, the oldest amongst them no more than Kiesja's age. This one lowered a cushion upon the path, and the hanjou knelt upon it with one graceful sweep.

The air hummed with whispers. 'How lovely she is,' people kept muttering. They were right, but all Kiet could see was the hanjou's youth. In the brief second they locked eyes, hers were wide with fear, excitement, embarrassment—a face easily read. Even her escorts seemed more collected than she, kneeling around her like lilypads ringing a blossom.

'Welcome, himisae.' Kiet ignored for a moment the theatrical display of it all. The entire palatial ring had come to the five-arched gates to witness Fukuse's bridal reception, and now they watched along the path, held at bay by only the best of Kathedra's guards. 'I hope your journey has been pleasant. Please, rise.'

'I thank you for having me, maharaj.' Her Common Kapuluan was as smooth and clear as her skin. She rose, but all her servants remained on their knees until she gestured to the palanquin far behind the gates. 'The Divine Gyok extends their blessings. May you accept our marital gifts.'

The hanjou's smile was uncertain, but her escorts knew already what must be done. They had trailed back to the palanquin and thus began the outpouring of gifts: jewels and golden chains, robes and furs, oils and spices ...

She's learnt the words well. He barely remembered the formalities himself, so elaborate and extensive as was the entire affair. Marital rites began at the woman's home, beginning with a ceremony where she would receive her parental blessings, and ending with the bridal valediction that symbolises her departure from her father's House as both name and shelter.

Only the bridal reception was a public affair—one that lasted often days—before the second half of the rites were to be held with the parents of the bridegroom. In their case would it take at least another turn of the week, along with the rising of the new year. Ten days to memorise his words. Ten days for divine intervention.

Kiet watched the flow of riches come streaming in, passed from Fukuse's servants to his own, who in turn carried them away across the palace entry courtyard. His eyes trailed to Judhistir and the other Ametjas royalborns there waiting. Khaisan, Persi ... even Andhika had stayed to attend the bridal reception—though only the latter of the three seemed to actually be enjoying the moment. A seat had upon the heart of the courtyard been arranged for both the Rama and his Rani. Ecru parasols kept them from the heat of the day; triple-tiered and ringed in tassels. Even then the Rani still looked about to faint. She had become so frail these past turns, the servants whispered she barely could rise from bed.

The last coffer was hoisted past them, and Kiet forced himself to look upon the hanjou. 'Gladly I receive their gifts, and gladly I receive you into my home.'