42.2

'Stories their children shall nonetheless to their own children tell. Stories of valour and glory, befitting of our realm. Generations from now will they look upon the past and wonder, who was it whom then sat upon the hornèd throne? Certainly it could have been not Khaisan.'

Not Khaisan. He knew where it all led, and still Kiet wondered if he misunderstood the Rama. But Judhistir stood, staring unblinking at him, his frown more of resolve than it was anger or disappointment.

'You, Kithrel, will the Ametjas Oath swear. You will bear the crown. You will sit the throne. You will keep the glory of our House and realm.'

This is it. Kiet held his feet firm. This is what Isla's been planning for.

But he felt no relief, no triumphant rush. His heart beat faster, but for neither eagerness nor joy. But it has to be done. 'What then, of Khaisan?'

'He shall in your place take the provincial seat of Pior Lam.'

'He'll not take gladly to so considerable a change. Nor will Persi, who holds Kam Phor.'

'What of it thus? Will they mine royal decree rebuff? Usurp the throne and name traitors of themselves? Shall it even so be have you still allegiance of our four remaining provinces and alliance to the Jade Empire to your claim defend. Wiser it would be for Khaisan to challenge you through dominance of jii, yet verily do I doubt this path he'd dare walk.'

Kiet smirked. He feared not a contest of dominance—in fact would he welcome it. It would spare the realm a civil war and countless unnecessary deaths. But Judhistir was right. Khaisan would sooner send men to die before he'd risk humiliating himself before the people.

'I shall tonight with mine council sit, and by the morrow the decree have drawn. And upon your nuptial blessings, the announcement shall by the people be heard.'

That gives me three days to prepare. As if he had not enough on his platter.

'The Khan and his children will have reason no more to carry their affront home. Perhaps tales will they spread of how Surikhand's heir was for their benefit replaced, but our tale—yours—shall by a furlong triumph over theirs.'

'You and your tales, Rama. Your people are not children and our lives no storybook scene.'

'Spare me, Kithrel, your bleeding heart! No longer have you the liberty to indulge in it so, much as no longer might you be able to play to theirs. Oh, do I know the tunes of your song ... the greatest freedom whereupon your title had to Khaisan been passed. The relief, the intense apathy in which you could indulge. To pick and choose your cares as like condiments at a banquet.'

Kiet scowled. 'That is an uncharitable reading of my character.'

'The people's prince!' Judhistir let out a sharp laugh. 'Soon will you have the luxury no more to play such facile roles! Nay, t'will be the intolerable lords and obsequious nobles you need keep first and forever in mind, and well enough as you deal with them at present, even you will find yourself worn by their constant bickering, their opposing demands, subtle threats and blatant lies!'

'You make the throne sound so appealing, Father, how can I wait to sit upon it now?'

'Your derision escapes me not, nor has it ever. Thought you I saw none of the disappointment you so attempted to conceal? Or that cold frustration whenupon another of your propositions I needed deny? All too well do I know how oft you wished I made for this realm a better king.'

'That is not at all what I think.'

'Perhaps had you everything right. I pray only that you might stand firm where have I faltered; resolute where have I been with uncertainty plagued. Of all mine faults and oversights, this at least is one mistake I will make good.' His scowl turned suddenly to a cheerless smile, and the chamber chilled with a draught that whistled down the dais.