41.1

'Father, wait!'

'Father, wait!'

A blur of silver and blue, and Kiet had shoved himself in front of her. Isla stumbled back, knocking hard against the rajini. Her theurgy wavered from the shock of it all, but she had just enough composure to draw herself thin and wisp out of the Rama's mind.

What is he doing? It took all of her to keep from reaching out and strangling Kiet right where they stood. She had been so close to sparking that final flame. The Rama's anger, frustration, disappointment; everything was all ripe and blazing hot, if only he could be prodded just one step further ...

Perhaps it is enough. Maharaj Khaisan had done most of the job for her, and—Fjōr willing—he might just give that final prod himself. If Kiet stops meddling.

Isla reached for the tails of his cloak, tugging him back. 'Have you gone mad?'

Kiet turned enough to hiss back in her face. 'Have you?'

'I'm not the one drawing an inch of steel before the Rama!'

He looked down at his hand on his sword and paused a moment before shoving the weapon back into its sheath. He was only fortunate the Rama—and everyone else, for that matter—was too distracted to have noticed. Like the rest of the platform, the Rama was up on his feet, cakes and cups scattered around him, calling a halt to the duel between Maharaj Khaisan and High Prince Amargai below.

Even Maharaj Persi looked on at his son, at a loss for words and unable to subdue the Rama's wrath. The duel had spiralled quickly out of control. The tournament master himself could not count how many strikes had landed or which landed first—all Isla could tell was that Maharaj Khaisan was bleeding from his cheek and shoulders, while the Napoan prince wore tears down his breastplate and limped from one leg.

'I felt your bloodrune, heard the screaming,' whispered Kiet. 'I thought you were in trouble!'

'So your plan was to cut the Rama down?' Isla started to laugh, but suddenly she did not find it so funny. He was genuinely shaken, his eyes wide with a fear she had never seen upon them before. 'Kiet—'

'Enough of this madness!' Again the Rama's voice boomed, rippling through the sky with another shock of lights. It charged the air with his theurgy; a cold prickling that ran like needles along Isla's skin.

Kiet whisked around to shield her once again, but the command was meant for Maharaj Khaisan. The Rama was up dangerously close to the edge of the platform, shaking a finger down at his heir.

'How dare you in such repugnant manner speak of an honoured guest to our realm?'

'What?' Maharaj Khaisan lowered his sword and stepped away from the High Prince Amargai to face the Rama's fury. 'What have I said that is not truth?'

'What has he done?' Kiet whispered at Isla, though his eyes never left Maharaj Khaisan as he continued on a spiel of what it meant to be a man.

'Oh, nothing. Only called the entire male population of Napoa a bunch of self-castrating cowards who hide behind their women.'