№1|The Heart Royale

-‘๑’-Book 1-‘๑’-

№1|The Heart Royale
>───⇌••⇋───<

Sweat dripped down a warm brown sugar forehead as the smell of chicken noodle soup filled the kitchen. Quincy “Queenie” Hearts had been here for hours, almost days, cooking pots upon pots of foods such as soups, meat dishes, and pies for the residents of the homeless shelter here in Barnsley.

“Miss Hearts,” the head of the shelter said, getting her attention.

Queenie spun around, passing the ladle to one of the other chefs. “Yes, Tatiana? Also, you don't have to call me Miss Hearts, Queenie is just fine.”

“Don't you wanna go home? You’ve been here helping the cooks for the past two days. You don’t even specialize in cooking, Miss Hearts! I thought you said you wanted research material for your new novel?”

“I’ll get to that soon,” Queenie replied nonchalantly, grabbing the tray holding bowls of soup. “Right now, these people are hungry. You know my motto, Tatiana. No. Person. Goes. Hungry.”

“Yes, I know Miss Hearts, but there is no need for you to do this. I’m sure you have other important things to do.” Tatiana followed her throughout the homeless shelter.

“No need? Tatiana,” she stopped in her tracks, abruptly turning towards Tatiana with determination in her eyes, “look around, I’m lucky enough to have grown up with food on my table and clothes on my back. These people, however, are not as lucky. If I can help in any way possible – even if I’m serving soup – then I’ll do it. No person in Barnsley, or anywhere in the world, should have to live like this. It pains my heart to see them like this.”

She rested her hand on her heart. “Everyone should have the access to a bed, warm food, and love. That’s what I’m trying to do.” She grabbed two bowls of soup from the tray, placing them down in front of the two children huddled in the corner.

The children glanced at the soup and then back up at Queenie, hesitant to accept anything from anyone.

“Don't worry, it’s just chicken soup. Would you like some water? Juice?” Queenie asked, crouching down in front of them.

The boy shook his head, quickly averting his gaze. “N-No thank you…”

“You don't need to be afraid. I just want to help.” She assured them, watching as they shivered as a gust of strong wind blew through the shelter.

Queenie stood up, walking towards the shelves to grab a black blanket. Walking back over to the children, she draped it over them. “This should help. Don't forget to eat your soup. It’ll help with that cold your sister has.”

“I do-don't have- achoo!” The sister sneezed, sniffling slightly. “I don't have a cold…”

“You’re terrible at lying.” Queenie chuckled, tapping the little girl's cheeks. “But you’re cute, so it makes up for it.”

“Where’s your mom?” Tatiana asked. “She never leaves your side.”

“My sister dropped her bunny outside, she went to go find it.” The brother explained, eating his soup. “This is very good.”