№27|Take Your Shot (Part 1)

-‘๑’-Book 1-‘๑’-

№27|Take Your Shot (Part 1)
>───⇌••⇋───<

Jerald Morales had been an alpha for almost two decades now. Not once had he woken up as happy as he did today. Sure, he’d experienced morning bliss with Freya when she greeted him with a cup of coffee and kisses. But waking up with Raelyn Escobar was an entirely different level of happiness. His lips formed the biggest smile as he buried his face into the softness of her blac tresses.

“God and goddesses almighty… how did I ever deserve someone as beautiful, as remarkable, as you?” He muttered into her hair, earning a chuckle from the witch.

“Good morning, Alpha.” She yawned, shifting in the arms of the wolf to face him. “Sleep well?”

“Better than I have in years.” He felt like a giddy little schoolgirl with her in his embraces, inhaling her strawberry and creme scent. “For the first time, I didn’t see Freya burning.”

“That’s great.” She smiled softly, swinging her legs over his waist to straddle his hips. “Don't you remember our promise, Jerald? I’m not here to replace Freya. I know I never will. But I’m here to help you forget the horrible memories, like that fire.”

He nodded, kissing her nose as his eyes diverted to her shoulder. “So, how do you feel with the new mark? I know when other magical races get marked by wolves, they have a hard time adjusting to their new abilities.”

“New abilities? Like what?” she asked, gliding her hands down his muscular chest.

“Well, normally the wolf’s mate will gain their sex drive so they can accomodate the mating,” he replied, catching his breath as her hands traveled lower. “Th-Then,” He gulped, “the mate’s mind gets connected to the hive mind of the pack.”

“Hive mind? What tha-” Before she could continue, a flood of voices filled her head.

They were loud and piercing. She quickly removed her hands from Jerald and clenched the side of her head as a loud groan escaped her lips. “Agh!” She hissed, leaning back down towards the bed. “Jerald! Why… Why are there so many voices?!”

“That’s the hive mind,” he replied, sitting up as he held her close, trying to soothe the witch. “Normally, there’s a ceremony for the mate so he, she, or they can adjust to the hive mind comfortably, but that doesn't happen with Luna. They get connected a couple hours after the marking.” He cupped her cheeks, locking his lips with hers. “Rae, I need you to calm down for a little bit so I can turn it off. Okay?”

She nodded, whimpering as tears filled in her eyes. Jerald pressed his thumb on the middle of her forehead. Under his finger glowed a soft blue as Raelyn’s tears stopped. 

“Better?” he asked.

“Y-Yes, th-thank you.” She nodded. “Wh-What was that?”

“That was the hive mind. It allows the pack to hear others’ thoughts and sometimes even feel their emotion,” he explained, wiping her tears away. “Sometimes we can hear other people on the ship, but the people in the pack learned over time how to block out certain voices or how to lower the volume in their head. When you're a Luna or Alpha you don't get that luxury of the ceremony, so we’re rushed into it.”