№34|Old Friends and New Enemies

>───⇌••⇋───<

Wayne, Silvia, and Penelope sat down at the cafe later that morning to enjoy a nice breakfast. Well, Silvia and Penelope were enjoying it at least. Wayne, however, couldn’t help but feel on edge.

The days after the failed assassination were awfully quiet, which was rather confusing seeing as the group believed Soren would’ve launched his counter attack by now. But nothing had happened.

The assassin glanced up at the window to Soren’s office and saw him talking to Lorenzo, a young woman, and a middle aged man. Who are they? he pondered, squinting to get a better look to not only see who they were but to also read their lips.

“Wayne.” Silvia’s voice broke through his focus. He tore his gaze away from the window and turned his attention to her. “Why aren’t you eating?”

“Hm?” Wayne looked down at his plate to see that he barely touched his food. “Oh, I’m just not hungry.”

“Are you sure that’s it?” she asked, crooking her eyebrow up at him.

He gazed into her hazel eyes. He sighed. He knew he couldn’t lie to her. “It’s too quiet…” he replied, scanning around the cafe. “It’s been almost a week and a half since the failed assassination, and Soren hasn’t done anything to retaliate. He gave the dragons what they wanted, but why? Up until now he hated dragons, yet he caved in to their demands?”

“It is a little weird that he gave into their demands… he’s looked awfully happy ever since we left the docks of Torrine,” she added, pressing her lips together as she glanced up at Soren’s office.

“Do you know who the other two in the office are?” he asked.

“No… I can’t get a good look at them. But if they’re with Soren, it spells trouble.” Unable to keep her nerves from surfacing, she drummed her fingers against her mimosa glass.

“Is something wrong, Silvia?” Penelope asked through her food-ridden mouth.

“Just grown-up stuff, Penny. And don't talk with your mouth full,” Wayne said. He passed her a napkin, then took a sip of his coffee.

“Thanks, Daddy.” She smiled and wiped her lips. “Are you two talking about Soren and his new friend?”

“You’ve seen his new friend? Which one; the guy or the girl?” Silvia inquired, scooting closer towards Penelope.

“The guy,” Penelope replied.

“What did he look like, Penny?” her father asked.

“Uh… pretty tall, a little bulky, brown eyes, silver hair -- which was weird because he wasn’t old looking. Oh! And he had a scar over his left cheek.”

Silvia gulped. Maybe it was him… She shook the thought out of her head. Don't be silly, Silvia!

“Did you get a name?” Wayne inquired.

“Uh… I think? I can’t remember. Sorry, Daddy,” she replied with a frown.

“It’s alright, I’m sure you’ll remember later.” Silvia smiled. “How did you meet him anyways?”