Chapter 19: Family

Kay's POV

I stopped in front of my bathroom mirror, inhaling shakily. I had done my hair into a long braid that hung over my shoulder. It had taken three tries and was still a little messy, but I couldn't see myself doing any better.

I smiled at my reflection hoping to gain a little confidence. Normally I felt cool around Darjeeling, no pressure. But she was in control this time, and we were going on a real date. If be lying if i said I had no butterflies.

"Hurry up already! She's waiting for you." called Alisa from outside the bathroom door.

I opened the door, stepping past Alisa into the hallway. "Naomi told you?"

"Of course. We've all been waiting for this. I feel like my favorite ship just became canon!" squealed Alisa.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, not yet.."

Alisa's expression changed as she looked at me. She put a hand on my shoulder. "Kay, it's gonna go fine. You two obviously have chemistry. Plus, you look so hot in that dress."

"I hope you're right." I said. "I gotta go, I'll update you when i get back."

"Of course. Good luck." she yelled as I jogged out of the door. I decided to take the stairs, going up two at a time as I fought the urge to take off running. I could hardly hold my excitement in.

When I reached the door to the rooftop, Naomi was waiting for me. She opened the door, bowing as I walked past.

My heart melted when I saw Darjeeling standing beside a table in the middle of the rooftop. It was a round table with two chairs on either side, and a cute vase of sunflowers sitting in the middle.

I laughed as I approached her and realized what she was wearing. "Wh- Why are you wearing a suit?"

"Nothing else felt appropriate." she replied, grinning awkwardly.

She's so cute.

She pulled a chair out for me. "Madam?" she said, gesturing for me to sit. I smiled, sitting and scooting up to the table.

She hurriedly walked to the other chair, taking her seat.

"I like your dress. Red is your color." she said.

"Thanks. You look nice too." I said, smiling at how shy she looked.

Her being awkward made me feel a little less intimidated. I took a deep breath, looking around the table. "Where's the food?" I asked.

"On the way, don't worry." she said. A few seconds later, Pekoe came out to us carrying two plates of food. She was in a black and white waitress uniform. It looked adorable on her.

My eyes widened when she set the plates down. "D, this looks expensive..."

"Don't worry, Assam paid for this. I assure you, it didn't hurt her bank account."

It was roast beef garnished with vegetables and herbs and smothered with gravy. As much as I wanted to protest, it smelled amazing.