Chapter 11: Patience is a Virtue.

Kay's POV.

I just couldn't stop smiling.

Darjeeling - the girl I had liked since the second I saw her - had her face buried in my neck and her arms around me.

I almost cried when she finally pulled away from me.

"Kay.." she said.

"Yes?" I responded.

"What is in your hand?"

"Huh?"

OH.

"Oh yeah, I brought you some more croissants. I made these myself though, in class today." I said and held out the bag to her.

She smiled and took it from me, pulling the ribbon undone. The bag opened and she reached in and pulled out two croissants.

She handed one to me before tying the bag closed once again.

We continued walking down the path, talking and laughing and occasionally taking bites of our croissants.

Soon we reached a gazebo that overlooked a small pond. Darjeeling walked on to the gazebo and leaned on the railing, looking out at the pond.

A mother duck waddled into the water from the shore, followed by three little babies.

"Aw Kay, do you see them? Aren't they adorable?"

I smiled. "Yeah, they are. Look at the one in the back, he's so tiny!" I said, pointing.

"Yes, he is!" she said and laughed. "Do you think they'd want some croissant?"

I shook my head. "Bread is actually bad for ducks. Messes with their buoyancy and it's harder for them to float."

"Oh." She said. "I never knew that."

"Yeah. Makes me glad I'm not a duck." I said and took the last bite of my croissant.

Darjeeling laughed. "I'm glad you're not a duck too. Who would bake me croissants?"

I leaned back against the railing. "Oh, is that all i'm good for?" I asked.

She giggled and turned to face me. "I mean, no, but I definitely don't mind it."

God, this feels good. This feels right.

"I like this." I said.

"You like what?" she asked.

"You. This. I love being around you."

She pushed off of the railing and stretched, smiling.

I watched her take a deep breath before turning to me and asking if I was ready to go home.

Her words barely registered as I stared at her in pure awe.

"Darjeeling..." I said. I stood upright and stepped closer to her, once again taking her face in my hands.