Chapter 14: Always

Darjeeling's POV

I tapped my foot impatiently as I waited for the elevator to reach my floor. It was only one floor, it shouldn't be taking this long. I was beginning to get worried.

Maybe it broke down? Should I call maintenance?

I had just pulled my phone out of pocket when I heard a ding and the whirring of the elevator doors sliding open.

"Finally." I said, laughing. "Took you long enough." When I turned around though, I stopped laughing.

"Huh?" said the man gruffly. He picked up his head and tried turning to look at me, but Kay snatched his head back down to its place at her neck.

"Shh" she said. "It was just some random."

My eyes widened as I took in the scene before me.

The man must have thought she was enjoying this, but the look on her face told me everything I needed to know. She confirmed my suspicions, mouthing the words "Help me."

"Well let's not waste any more time here cutie. Come on, let's get to your room." he said, pulling away from her and beginning to turn around.

I stepped aside as they passed, faking an awkward wave to them until they were a few feet ahead of me in the hallway.

The elevator dinged, signaling the closing of the doors. Shit!

I reached in and pulled Kay's bag out just in time, nearly getting my hand shut in the door.

Too close.

I turned my head to see the man and Kay stop in the middle of the hallway.

"Oh nooo~ I forgot my keys. They're in my bag still." She said, loud enough so I could hear it.

I turned back to the bag, sliding the thick hardcover textbook out before zipping it back up quickly.

The man growled. "Well go get 'em bitch. I don't have all day."

I picked up the bookbag, hiding the textbook behind my back with one hand.

I stood up. I walked casually up to them. I checked my breathing and my stride, trying to appear as at ease as possible.

"Hi, sorry to bother you. I thought this might be yours?" I said, holding the bag out to Kay with a smile.

"Oh! Thanks so much!" she took it from my hands and smiled at the man. "Come on, let's go then. I can hardly wait any longer." she whined, grabbing his arm with her free hand and leading him down the hallway.

I waited until he was faced completely away from me, until I was invisible to him.

Now.

I took one step forward, using both hands to sling the textbook around and drive it with all my force against the side of his head, narrowly avoiding Kay who knowingly stepped aside at the last second.

There was a solid thunk and the man fell to the ground, cradling his head with his hands. He sputtered for a few seconds, blinking rapidly as his vision fluttered. "What the fuck?!" he screamed. "You crazy bitch!"

"Bitches!" yelled Kay. "Plural motherfucker, there's two of us!" She yelled, kicking his arm aside and stomping his face with her bulky combat boot.

"AHHH!" he screamed, rolling on his side. "You broke my fucking nose!"

"You should take it as a blessing," said Kay, kneeling down to his level, "that you can't smell your stank ass breath no more."

The man swung blindly at her but fell back down flat. "You'll go to jail for this you psycho, I swear!"