XXI. Burnout

Trenton, New Jersey
*excuse mistakes if any*

Trenton, New Jersey *excuse mistakes if any*

Onest Simmons
"Burnout"

"Why you have your head down?" I questioned, stepping into the house. Anneliese shut the door behind me and I turned around to face her.

Once she turned around, she still had her head down. I squinted my eyes confused as to why she was doing that all of a sudden. As I continued looking at her, I noticed her right arm was wrapped up in bandages.

"Why your arm wrapped up?" I asked and she quickly covered her arm.

"Lia..." I began, walking up to her. I lifted up her chin and instantly seen that her eye was black.

"What the fuck happened to your eye?" I asked staring at her. She moved my hand away from her face.

"Nothing, I'm fine." She said lowly like she was scared to say anything.

"Your clearly not if your eye is black. Who hit you?" I asked, touching her face again.

"Onest, it's fine so don't worry about it. It was just an altercation that I started. Let's not talk about this." She said, walking past me. I smack my lips following after her.

"Lia, it's not the time for you to shut down. So, we're going to talk about it." I told her as we walked up the stairs. She ignored me going in her room and I walk in after her.

"Lia!" I yelled her name and she turned towards me.

"Please don't yell at me." She told me and I nodded my head.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell. But, I need you to stop ignoring me and answer my question. What the fuck happen?" I asked, she stare at me then proceed to sit on the floor.

I clenched my jaw, tilting my head side to side. I took a deep breath before shutting the door. I walked over then sat down in front of her. I noticed a box sat next to her and I was able to see what was inside.

It was a notebook with her name on the front written in marker, stars surrounding it. Beside the notebook I seen clothes that look like little girl pajamas. They were white with pandas on them and I noticed a spot that look like dried up blood. I averted my eyes to Anneliese seeing she was staring at me.

"What happened?" I asked in a much softer tone than before. I seen her eyes start to water and she look away from.

I moved closer to her then grab her hand. "Mamas, it's okay, you don't have to be scared. It's just me and you here talking. Your safe I promise." I told her as a tear fell from her eye.