2

Shaurya

It was almost half past five when I left the college, due to assignments work load is more than usual. Opening first few buttons of my cream colored shirt, I sighed in relief. College these days is far more stressing than it used to be.

Yeah that's what exactly happens when you start to fantasize about your student.

My inner voice mocked making me roll my eyes. Anokhi Bhalla, one girl I should have stayed the fuck away from... I knew I was fucked up the moment I went after her few weeks ago to stop her from leaving Chandigarh. I crossed all the limits by kidnapping her to get her talk to me, then begged her to stop and as if this wasn't enough I asked her to stay at Sabherwal's, my home. As she had no other place to go.

I remember how excited I was when I brought her home with me, showed her room where she was expected to stay for a night.

Taking off my specs I was about to close my eyes, when light blue kurti with pink duppata caught my attention. I saw Anokhi getting into that Ahir's car. Ahir told her something which made her smile and my jaw clench. He is like baitaal who won't get off of Vikram's shoulders that easily, I hate how he always tries to crack jokes to make Anokhi laugh or how he acts oversmart when she's around. He tries to impress her.

Maybe he already has...
My inner voice scorned and I hit my fist to the window.

"What happened sir? Is everything alright" Makhann, my driver asked.

But I didn't reply, instead I closed my eyes clutching my specs as tightly as I could in my hand.

I remember how excited I was at the prospect of having Anokhi at my home, of Anokhi having dinner with my family and sleeping in room next to mine. That night I didn't sleep thinking of her......that night was an utter bliss for me.

I don't remember being that excited or happy in past thirty years. Although all my happiness was destroyed the moment badi maa pulled me back to reality, two weeks later.

A week ago

After twisting and turning for about an hour, I decided to give up on my futile efforts to sleep. I got up from the bed & went to the balcony, unfortunately there's not much to see these city lights deprive us of our night sky's beauty. After pacing for few minutes in my balcony I went back to my room and picked up my phone. To check the time

"Half past twelve"

I opened my whatsApp and without giving it much thought I texted Anokhi.

*are you still awake?"*

I was contemplating to delete the text, since it wouldn't look good,
I mean yeah who texts their students 'are you still awake?' after midnight? my inner voice said and I couldn't agree more, this text would definitely make me look like are creep.

And when I was about to delete it, I heard a knock on my door.

"Shaurya?" Badi maa whispered.

Badi maa, why is she still up?. Usually she prefers to sleep by ten. I opened the door and invited her in.

"You are still awake" she said walking inside.

"Yeah, couldn't sleep. But why are you still up? Is everything alright?"

"Why are you not sleeping" she answered my question with her question.

Scratching back of my head I went to sit on sofa "I don't know" I replied not totally honest but not a lie either. I couldn't sleep because everytime I close my eyes I see Anokhi lying by my side.