34

Anokhi

"Good morning Anokhi" Shaan Sir greeted me when I entered in his office. Or rather one where board members hold meetings. A long wooden table with glass top and leather chairs on both sides. It is funny how I almost forgot how big this room is, even though I have been here a couple of times since I took admission in this college. Few teachers, board members included loved me enough to keep calling me here.

A month ago I stood right where I am standing right now and Tej Sir handed me my rustication letter. Because I was caught cheating during exam, thanks to Bebo. I used to be everyone's favorite back then, however looks like they don't care much now. Since that was the last time I came here. Their love for me faded faster than I speculated.
"Good morning sir" I replied.

"Please sit down." Shaan sir said offering me a warm smile. Kind of affectionate smile that very few people have offered me in my life so far. Kind of smile that makes you determined to never disappoint that person.

I sat on one of the chairs on his right.

"Aastha called me day before yesterday-" His eyes immediately flickered to see on his left, most probably to see the other person sitting in the room attached to this one. Shaurya sir sat on the cream white sofa in the other room, reading and singing some papers. One would think that he was busy with what he is doing. But I guess Shaan sir knows better than to think that the mention of his mother would escape his ears.

"She told me that you are looking for paid internship?" Shaan sir went on when no reaction received from the other side of the room. If Shaurya sir heard Aastha Ma'am's name he ignored it.

I nodded in response "I have other expanses, scholarship don't cover it all you know. Examination fee and all"

Shaan sir nodded "I can imagine, Chandigarh is quite expensive. Not that expensive if you have a job. But if you are a student and have no support from your family as in your case, Then it is trouble." He gave me a sympathetic look.
"But anyways I talked to one of my friends-"

Loud scoff interrupted Shaan sir and he looked again at Shaurya sir. Whose eyes were still glued to whatever it was he was pretending to do, meanwhile his hand reached for the glass of water sitting on the table. I am one hundred percent sure he knew we were looking at him, but he did not bother to look up.

"Yeah, so where was I?" Shaan sir asked turning his attention once again on me, ignoring his son's 'surprised scoff'

"You talked to one of your friends" I replied and because my attention was still on the man sitting on the couch I saw how he stopped whatever he was about to sign for a second and raised an eye brow. As if Shaan sir's friends part is something alien and shocks him every time it is mentioned.

"Yeah...right. So he works at Inside Daily and recently they have launched their new site that is solely focuses on world and of course Indian economy. He is looking for content writers. So I told him about you and he would like you to submit a detailed report on recent recession in Indian economy and world economy and along with that he wants you to prepare a report on consumerist as well. You will submit it within three days and if he like your reports, he will publish it, plus you will get a free internship. Although considering your field that is management, content writing won't be of that much help. But hey you will get money and experience in this field too. And I think that is a win win situation "

In three days? In three days preparing two reports on topics that may look easy to write but are quite deep with details? And that too for Inside daily?

"It is easy, isn't it? I am sure your write up will be terrific and he will be impressed" Shaan sir added with the confidence I do not feel "what happened Anokhi? Is there any problem?" he asked after noticing blank look on my face.