8

Anokhi

"Thanks for the coffee, Acp Aahir" I said as we stepped out of the packed cafe. Amid the perfume of the summer blooms, warm yet cool air blew my open hairs.

"Actually I should be the one saying thanks here. Thanks for giving me some time out of your busy schedule" Acp Aahir said with one of his sweetest smile.

In all honesty, I was in no mood of coming here. My business communication assignment is still pending and the deadline is approaching faster than ever. But when Acp Aahir asked twice, I wasn't able to deny. He dropped me at The oak and helped me with my luggage, yesterday. So It would have been rude of me, to deny him a thanks treat.
"Well, well, well it was supposed to a thanks treat to you, which means I should have paid for our coffee and cookies." I tucked a strand of hair behind ears and smiled "but you paid for this one. So I am the one who should be thanking you for helping with my luggage and this small treat for.... "

"For actually saying yes to a treat" he completed for me. And I passed a smile adding "and for lifting my mood too" Nowadays I have started to feel what Antonio from merchant of Vince must have been feeling in opening scene, when he told his friends that he feels sad although he was at the loss to explain why. Funny how I found his sadness for no particular reason irritating back in high school.

"So, is it safe to assume that you owe me" Acp Aahir asked chuckling, as we walked to his car.

"Mmm, it depends" I replied tucking hairs behind my ear. And looked around when I felt someone's intense gaze on me, this is one of the few posh areas in chandigarh that is thickly packed during evening thanks to restaurants, cafes, ice cream parlors, gift and flowers shops. So when I looked around it was hard to tell who's gaze is basically burning hole in my back. "Depends on what?" Acp Aahir asked.

"Depends on how you want me to pay"

"Umm how about a dinner, there's a restaurant he-"

"Oh no no no. I have already stayed longer than I initially planned. It's eight I should get going" I told him as my gaze swept the busy market place.

"What happened? Looking for someone" Acp Aahir asked.
"Nothing-" My brows furrowed as my senses made me aware of hard gaze still burning hole in my back "umm I want to go home now" I informed Acp Aahir and walked to his car not waiting for him. Something tells me that I should have left earlier, like I planned to but then Acp Aahir went on discussing his subordinates and their comic acts, not wanting to be rude I sat back and listened.

"I don't think it's nothing. What's bothering you Anokhi ji?" Acp Aahir asked as we got into the car.
"I don't know,I felt like someone..." I fell silent when I spotted stary black Tucson parked near an ice cream parlor on our right.

"Someone?" Acp Aahir asked as he put his car in reverse gear. While instead of replying I sat there staring Tucson, my eyes searching area around it.

"Anokhi!" Naina and I were on our way to next class, when our finance teacher called me.

"Yes Ma'am?" I turned to her "Beta could you please return these books to the library?" She asked "I'd have done it by myself, if I wasn't already late for my next lecture"

"Yes ma'am sure" I told her. Passing me three books and saying thanks she left.

"You can go to the class-"
"Who's interested in stats class? Definitely not me" Naina said cutting me short "atleast I'll get to pass few minutes of that boring lecture if I go with you"

Hearing her I rolled my eyes "fine"

We went to library and returned the books. But just as we were about to leave, I saw Shaurya sir sitting there with a pile of books and Kitty beside him writing something. As if sensing me he looked up and spotted me, and for next few seconds glowered at me before looking down.