32

Shaurya

"You said you wanted to help us. Is this what you meant by helping?" Bade papa asked.

"Yes I wanted to, however unfortunately no one in this house want me to have a peace of mind" Father dear replied giving badi ma and me scornful glare "and I can't work without peace of mind. And most definitely not somewhere, where I don't get the respect" another glare came my way.

"If you want respect, earn it" I said taking a bite from the chicken.

"So now I have to earn respect of my own son?" dad asked gritting his teeth.

"Oh I didn't realize we were still playing father-son, after all these years" I sighed in exaperation.

"Oh the manners you have learnt" now that was an indirect to badi ma and she understood it "I am sorry Shaan, but are you questioning his upbringing? Because if that's the case-"

"Enough!" Bade papa said loudly and clearly "I am not here to discuss your petty issues. So save them for later."

Rest of the dinner was all about Bade papa trying to drill some sense of duty in my father dear's head, with occasional remarks by badi ma and me stopping myself from spilling my father's little adventure of Kapurthala. The moment I was done with dinner I walked out of dinning room and Kitty and Bebo followed me out, with their unusual silence that's common nowadays. I wonder if anyone in this house even notices that, except of course chachi. Who I heard was asking them what's going on, the other day.
Normally I'd have made them, or precisely Kitty spill what's wrong with them. Since she has always been the soft and less stubborn one among the two of them. But with my pending work and other problem, last thing I want atleast for next few days is diving into their problems. However there is another thing that I need to discuss with Kitty.

"Kitty" I stopped and turned around. Kitty and Bebo too halted "I want to talk to you, come with me" I told her and started towards the doorway that leads to backyard. Bebo left without saying anything, while I heard a low grunt leaving Kitty's lips. Looks like she figured what I want to talk about.

"Shaurya" I stopped when I heard Bade papa and looked back "Come with me" he ordered and not even bothering to stop he went straight to his room, which is on the other side of the staircase.

"We'll talk when I am free"

"As you wish bro" Kitty said curtsying me in dramatic manner before scooting to her room, that's upstairs.

I followed bade papa into his room. He was taking his diabetes medicine.
"Yes bade papa?" I asked. Swallowing his pill with a glass of water he turned to me.

"He is your father Shaurya, and I'd really appreciate it if I don't need to remind you this next time"

I blinked back at him, thoroughly confused where did this come from. I don't remember when was the last time bade papa and I discussed my father, well except that one time when I was in eighth standard and my father thought I was being brat and hence we ended up arguing in front of my teacher.

My father dear of course came back and started pointing fingers at badi ma, for my bad upbringing. It wasn't her or my mistake that my teacher was surprised that I wasn't an orphan. She like every other teacher used to assume that because it was always either my chachi Or badi ma, attending all sorta meetings and functions in my school. Or sometimes no one coming at all, because they both were busy and well my father was drunk and my mother living her life peacefully in Kapurthala. Anyways when I saw my teacher's jaw almost on the floor seeing that I actually have a father, I passed a witty remark, which by the way I don't even remember now. But back then my father thought it was me disrespecting him and hence I got a long ass lecture from bade papa after coming back. That was the first and last time bade papa and I talked about my father and me. "Sorry!?"