Chapter 10

Chapter 10

    When I reached the deadheads it was eerily quiet. There was no sound,  except for the leaves of the trees gently brushing together as a slight breeze moved through them. I spotted a blonde tuff of Newt's hair behind a tree and made my way towards it.

"Hey." I spoke the word softly, not wanting to startle him. He took a deep breath before replying in the same manner. Silence followed after his voice had rang out. I waited for him to speak, after all he was the one who had wanted to meet.

After a few moments he sighed, audibly stressed, and ran his hand through his hair. "About what happened last night......." He trailed off and refused to meet my gaze. "That can't happen again. Ever."

That lone sentence caused my entire world to freeze, and my head to spin. "Wha-What do you mean?" I tried my hardest to keep my voice from quavering.

"I mean that what happened was a bloody mistake. It never should've happened, and it was way out of line."

"Out of what line?" I snapped back, my voice cold as ice.

"The line that Gally drew last night at the keepers meeting. Anyone that gets near you again will be banished." His eyes remained glued to the ground.

"He had no right to do that!" I could feel the rage beginning to flow through my veins, fueling my anger. "I can take care of myself, I'm not a child."

His voice turned cold as steel. "It was a one time thing. It meant nothing. It was a mistake, and it's not going to happen again. ever."

His words pierced into my skin, and I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes and threatening to overflow, but I pushed them back. He was lying and I knew it. I knew he felt the same thing I did last night. I cursed myself internally for allowing myself  to become attached to someone after so little time. The fact that someone could make me feel this way, someone I had only met yesterday, made me feel weak and powerless. Like I had no control over my life. I couldn't breathe. It felt like my lungs were on fire, and no matter how hard I tried to pull air into my lungs I couldn't get enough to quench them.

"Sage." He spoke quietly, and for a moment I thought his eyes were full of hurt, but then I realized it was a look of regret. Regrets of things he had done and could never change. He cautiously took a step towards me and reached out.

I pulled myself away, stumbling backwards. "No." I managed to croak the word out. "Stay away." I shook my head, and attempted to wipe the tears away from my eyes. "Stay away and don't ever come near me again."

He opened his mouth, but no words came out, and I continued "If you ever try to

come near me again I will make good on the promise I made to you in the maze."

And with that I turned and ran, leaving Newt behind.