Chapter 14

Chapter 14

To say that my first morning of running was utterly exhausting would be an understatement. By the time we stumbled for a stop at lunch, my lungs were burning as if they had somehow caught on fire. I slouched against the wall of the maze, my chest heaving, and tried to inhale slowly, but to no avail, it took several minutes before my breathing slowed down to a normal pace.

After I had eaten the food Frypan packed for me, I unscrewed the cap to my water, and brought it up to my mouth, only to find that it was empty. "Shuck." I groaned and dropped the bottle on the ground. First day of running and I already messed up, now I had to make it all the way back to the glade without any water.

"Here." Minho cut off my inner rambling and handed me a beat up water bottle.

"You didn't spit in it did you?" I asked suspiciously as I took the bottle into my hands.

"No, not this time." a small smile flashed across his face, and then it was gone as soon as it came.

"What did you think about, just then?"

"What?" He asked distractedly as he packed his lunch containers back into the pack built into his running harness.

"You were smiling, and then you got this look on your face like the entire world was crumbling."

He sighed "I just" he took a deep breath and dropped his pack back on the ground. "I'm the Keeper of the Runners right? that means it my job to find a way out of the maze or else we're going to be stuck here forever, and it's my fault."

I shook my head "No, no matter what it's not your fault."

Minho looked like he was about to object, so I continued "The shanks who put us here, it's their fault, this is all on them."

"You hear that you bastards!?" I stood up and started yelling towards the sky "This all your shucking fault, and when we get out of here we're going to make you pay for what you're doing to us, I might not remember anything, but I bet I can figure out how to kill you for doing this to us!"

By the time I had finished my short rant, a grin had started to spread across Minho's face again.

"We'll find a way out okay? I held out my hand to help him up.

"If you say so" He said as I heaved him onto his feet.

"If you don't believe, then you can't succeed" I said in a sing song voice as I bumped his shoulder.

"Oh shut up you shuck face" he rolled his eyes and bumped me back, before he started running again.

***Newt's p.o.v.***

The events from earlier that morning played over and over in Newt's mind as he left the Glade and began his run through the maze. He and Ben had been goofing off, and Ben had pushed him , causing Newt to bump into another object roughly. Only it wasn't an object at all, it was Sage. When he saw her on the floor, with her food dumped everywhere, his first instinct was to apologize and help her up, and he almost did, until I remembered the rule, He had to stay away from her or else he would be banished.

Once Sage had yelled at him and shoved him it jerked Newt out of his daydream and he was able to recompose himself, He had said some rude things to her, and she of course retaliated in a sassy way that only she could, but if that wasn't bad enough, she then called him out on "having his panties in a twist" and not wanting her to become a runner, which of course he didn't, it was too dangerous, but the whole encounter made him feel like a giant pile of klunk. If it wasn't for that bloody rule being made, none of this would've ever happened and maybe Sage would still-

Newt was pulled out of the recent memories, when the faint sound of laughter echoed into his ears, followed by some yelling.

Without even realizing what he was doing Newt turned off course, and down a corridor, following the laughter.

Moments later he skidded to a halt, just around the corner was the source of the noise. He peeked around the corner quietly, not sure what to expect.

Minho was sitting, his back pressed against the wall, and Sage was on her feet in front of him shaking her fists and screaming up at the walls. When she was finished, she extended her hand to Minho, and helped him to his feet, Newt couldn't hear what was said, until he saw Sage bump Minho's shoulder and sing "If you don't believe, then you can't succeed." Even her voice brought a smile to his face, but it was quickly replaced with a scowl when Minho bumped her back and they took off running again through the maze.

Newt sighed and ran an angry hand through his hair, before he turned in the opposite direction and started running again.

He was jealous. He was jealous of Minho and Sage's relationship, and he didn't even know why. He had had his chance with Sage, and he was a coward. He shucked it up, it was his fault. He could've made a stand, broken the rules for once in his life, but he didn't. He didn't because he was afraid, because he was scared. But he had made his decision and now he had to live with it. He made Sage hate him, and now he had to live with it.