Chapter 8

Chapter 8

*****************************************************************************************************************

Once the sun had set, the party began.

Some sort of alcoholic beverage was being passed around, some boys were showing off, doing flips, some were fighting each other, and some were just sitting around and having a laugh.

Although it was dark I could still feel eyes on me and it made me uncomfortable, but I ignored it.  I'd lost track of Gally and Newt, so I was sitting on a log by myself, trying to keep warm by the fire. I felt someone sit next to me and an arm wrapped itself around me "hey greenie you cold?" I immediately stiffened up at the unfamiliar voice and pushed their arm off. "Don't touch me." I said coldly and scooted father down the log in the opposite direction.

"Aw don't be like that babe." He scooted after me and reached for me again, but I stood up before he touched me and began to walk away. I didn't get far before I was pulled back by a sharp force, and he was forcing his lips on mine, and his hand found his way to my butt. In one movement I pulled away, slipped my knife out of my sleeve and slashed it against the soft skin if his cheek, leaving a long mark that began bleeding immediately.

"Ah you shank!" He stumbled backwards clutching his cheek. " I just wanted to have some fun."

"If you ever touch me again I will make sure I slit your throat, not your cheek." I turned to walk away, and froze mid step when I noticed that we had attracted the attention of a large  audience.

I saw Gally push his way through the crowd and immediately punch the kid square in the face.

By then i could feel the adrenaline draining out of my system and tears were threatening to overflow. I didn't care what was happening, I just needed to get out of there. I hid my face and quickly ran away from the crowds and towards the dead heads.

I could hear a voice calling after me, but I ignored it and kept running. The tears overflowed and began leaking down my cheeks as I reached the deadheads. I ran until I felt like I couldn't run anymore, and I collapsed into a heap at the roots of a large tree. I was gasping for breath, and my head was spinning uncontrollably.

I could hear footsteps approaching and I buried my head in my hands, embarrassed that I was crying over something so minor, the guy had barely even touched me.

"Go away Gally" I mumbled when I heard the footsteps reach me " I just want to be alone."

"I'm not Gally." I heard a familiar accented voice reply.

I lifted my head up an inch and saw Newt standing in front of me. I groaned aloud and put my head back down. Just what I needed more people to witness my mental breakdown.

"Hey." I heard him whisper as he sat down next to me, but not touching. "It's okay"

I snorted at his attempt to comfort me. Nothing was okay.

"Sage look at me."

I refused to move, although it seemed childish.

"Please." He pleaded

I sighed to myself then slowly pulled my face out of my hands.

"What do you want?" I cringed at how scratchy my voice was from crying.

"I just wanted to make sure you were alright, you ran away from the bonfire pretty quickly."

I forced out an unnatural sounding laugh "Yea I'm fine I just needed to get away."

"Are you sure?, you don't sound fine." He moved his brown eyes to mine, but I quickly averted my gaze.

"I'm fine alright I just need to be alone." I snapped then put my head back into my hands.

It was silent for a few moments before he replied. "Sometimes when we think we need to be alone what we really need is someone to lean on."

"I don't need anyone to lean on." I snapped "I can hold myself up perfectly fine on my own."

"Are you sure?"

I sighed and lifted my head up, looked at the sky and ran a hand through my hair "No."  

I thought i had my tears under control but i felt one or two escape from my eyes.

Newt turned towards me and opened up his arms "Come 'ere then."

I slide over and he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me gently against his chest.. It was warm and comfortable and for the first time since I'd arrived that I felt safe. "It'll be okay you know." Newt broke the silence after a few minutes "I know everything seems kind of crappy now but you'll fit in great once you get settled, I can tell."

I raised an eyebrow "How can you tell, you barely even know me."

"I know, but from  what I've seen It's obvious that you're beautiful, clever, smart, strong, you don't take any bloody klunk from anyone, and caring, although you don't like to show it."

I pulled away and turned slightly towards him "Beautiful huh?"

His cheeks flushed slightly "You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen."

"I'm the. only girl you've ever seen shuck face." I laughed and smacked his chest lightly

"Well, even if I had seen other girls, you'd still be the most beautiful."

"You don't know that." It was only then i realized how close we were actually sitting to each other, one of his arms was still around me and i could feel his warm breath caressing my face as he exhaled.  

"But I do." His eyes flickered down to my lips "May I- can I kiss you?" His voice was barely a whisper.

My breath hitched in my throat as I found myself nodding my head jerkily.

Newt leaned down towards me slightly and hesitated before gently capturing my lips in his own.