Chapter 1

Chapter 1

            The first thing I could remember was the dark. No family, no childhood, no friends, no memories, just the dark. I could feel it closing in all around me, pushing against me and blocking everything else out. That’s when the lurching began. I felt the floor moving from underneath me, and pushing me upwards. I could hear metal shuddering and shaking all around me. This went on for minutes. It was like some kind of terrible torture. I had no clue who I was. No clue where I was. No clue where I was going. No clue about anything.

            When I finally felt myself lurch to a stop I clenched my fists and slid into a corner, afraid of what was going to happen next.

            I heard metal creaking and groaning, and the ceiling above me began to open up, revealing roughly about 15 figures. One of them quickly jumped down into the box where I was. He stared at me for a moment, and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

            “It’s a girl?” he looked up to where the rest of the people were standing. They looked just as confused as he did.

            Once my eyes had adjusted to the light I could make out the figures standing above me. They were all men, boys to be more specific. And they didn’t look very welcoming. They were all dirty and grungy looking. Most of them were glaring at me as if I’d done something wrong, and those who weren’t just looked confused.

                My instincts were screaming at me to get out and away from these people, that they were dangerous.  And since my instincts were pretty much all I had to go on I figured it might be a good idea to listen to them.

            I don’t know where it came from, but all of the sudden I knew exactly what I had to do to get out.

            I slowly and shakily pulled myself up to my feet. The boy that’d jumped into the elevator with me looked like he was about to say something, but I didn’t give him any time to. Without thinking I dipped down and swung my leg horizontally so they effectively knocked his out from underneath him. Then without missing a beat I climbed onto the barrels on edges of the lift and used them to pull myself out onto the ground, and as soon as my hands hit the grass I pulled myself up and began running in the opposite direction as fast and I could make my legs go. I could hear shouts from behind me that were quickly followed by the pounding of footsteps.

            I quickly spun my head looking for a way out but every way I looked there were giant towering walls that seemed to go up for ages, completely surrounding where I was, which seemed to be a giant clearing with some woods and shelters.

            I was about to give up hope, when out of the corner of my eye on the far side of the clearing I saw a spot where the walls opened up revealing a narrow passageway out into who knows what.

            I decided that I’d rather take my chances then face my pursuers.  I began sprinting faster, if that was even possible. I was quickly closing the distance between me and my escape, and I could hear the footsteps getting louder behind me but that only made me push myself harder. I grinned to myself when I reached the walls and I was just about to enter into whatever lay beyond them, when 4 boys came running around the corner ahead of me, cutting of my escape route. I swore to myself as I turned and saw the other boys bearing down on me.

            I figured my best shot was to face the 4 boys inside the walls instead of the 20 + behind me, so I began running again, but I didn’t even make it past the walls before I was slammed off of my feet and onto the ground by a force from behind me.

            I felt my head smack onto the ground and my vision was hazy for a moment before I could see again. And what I saw almost made me black out again.

            If you’d asked me 5 minutes ago in the elevator if I remembered anything from my past I would’ve said no. if you’d asked if I could remember my own name, the answer would’ve been the same. But as soon as my vision cleared and I saw the face above me I knew.

            I didn’t know what my name was. I didn’t have any memories other than the last 5 minutes, but I knew who the boy pinning me onto the ground was. He was my brother, I didn’t know how I knew it, I didn’t have any memories of him, I just knew it was him.

            And there wasn’t anything else I could do except open my mouth and hope he’d remember me as well.

            “Gally?” I whispered taking in a sharp breath “Is that you?”