Chapter 12

Chapter 12

    The next two days came and went as quickly as the last. I made good on my promise to Minho and continued to shuck up as much as possible as I took turns working with the Medjacks, Slicers, Sloppers, and Track-Hoes. The evening of the second day was the Gathering to decide my future job in the Glade. Soon after the maze doors closed all of the keepers, Alby, Newt, and myself congregated in the homestead. As soon as the meeting had officially begun Alby launched into asking what each keeper thought of my skill, and almost every time it was the same.

    "She's terrible she shucked up everything I told her to do"

    "She burnt an entire pot of stew"

    "She dumped the fertilizer all over me!"

    "She nearly cut my entire hand off"

    I felt a smirk growing on my lips at my apparent success, which I quickly concealed, whilst cocking an eyebrow in Minho's direction, to see he was fighting a smirk as well.. But unfortunately the triumph was drowned out by someone's loud suggestion.

    "Well if she's so bad at everything just make her a slopper."

    Immediately panic raced through my mind. My one after noon with the sloppers was terrible, being a slopper was the most undesirable job in the entire glade, sloppers were the dumb shanks who weren't good at anything, so they did the jobs that no one else wanted to do. I flashed my eyes again to Minho, but his only was a slow nod, but I understood its meaning, I needed to trust him, he still believed he could fulfill his end of the deal.

    "Alright, alright, everyone shut up." Alby rolled his eyes as the chatter died down "Does anyone have anything positive to say about Sage?" Dead silence filled the small room.

    "Okay then, since no Keeper wants you, I'm afraid you'll-" He was cut off my Minho clearing his throat.

    Alby glared at him, obviously annoyed Minho was interrupting him "Do you have something to say?"

    "Uh yea." Minho rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly "I think I'd like to train her to be a runner."

    Immediately Gally, and Newt jumped in

    "Are you kidding me Minho? It's too bloody dangerous for her out there!"

    "You shank, I'm not going to let my baby sister run around the maze!"

    Their squabbling continued for several moments.

    "Hey!." I yelled over their voices, causing them to lapse into silence

    "You." I pointed to Newt "I don't even know why the hell you're arguing, you made it very clear you want nothing to do with me so shut your damn mouth." I didn't wait to see his reaction before turning to Gally "And I get that you want to protect me or whatever, but it's my decision, and I can take care of myself alright?" He opened his mouth to reply, but Alby cut him off

    "Why do you think she'd make a good runner Minho?"

    Last time I checked when you all came up in the box you just sat and cried a while when you arrive, she-" he pointed at me "hit the ground running and got into the maze before any of us could catch her. She's smart and fast, I think she could easily be the best runner that we've ever have."

    Once he finished, I turned my gaze eagerly back to Alby, who appeared to be in deep thought. After a moment he nodded "Alright, tomorrow you start your training, this meeting is adjourned.".

    Immediately I high tailed it out of the homestead, I didn't want to be around when Gally blew a gasket, he could come find me when he was calm. I made my way where the hammocks were, and thankfully they were deserted, all of the other gladers were still at dinner. I sighed out loud to myself as I reached my hammock and collapsed into it.

    A few minutes later I heard someone approaching and sat up, thankfully it was only Minho

    "What happened with you and Newt?"

    I shook my head "Nothing."

    "Well it didn't sound like nothing, he's dead set against you becoming a runner."

    "Yea well its a good thing it's not his choice then."

    He was silent for a moment "He really cares about you you know?"

    I let out a forced laugh "What a load of klunk." and flopped back in my hammock

    "Well, whatever it is, I want you to know I'm taking your side, Newt may be smart, but he can be one dumb ass shank"

I raised an eyebrow even though he couldn't see it "Thanks?"

"Yea don't mention it, now get to sleep grean bean, you're gonna have a busy day tomorrow."

That was the only invitation I needed to shut my eyes and allow the darkness to cloud my mind.