Chapter 11

Chapter 11

    I ran though the deadheads not even caring where I was headed. The tears had overflowed and were streaming down my face like a salty river. As soon as the old tears had been released fresh ones took their place, clouding my vision and making it nearly impossible to see where I was going, but I continued stumbling until I ran into something hard. It took me a moment to realize that the thing blocking my path was not a what at all, but a who.

"What the shuck? Sage?" Minho asked worriedly putting his hands on my shoulders to attempt to steady me. At that point dry sobs began to wreak themselves through my body causing me to shake uncontrollably. He awkwardly wrapped his arms around me, supporting me so I wouldn't fall.

"Shhhhh." He attempted to soothe me whilst rubbing my back softly. He continued this until my sobs had turned into shallow breaths.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He pulled away after making sure I could stand on my own.

I shook my head and rubbed my eyes in attempt to clear them of the evidence I had been crying. "If Newt ever comes near me again I'm going to kick his ass so hard his tonsils and testicles will be neighbors."

Minho suppressed a grin "I would beat up the shank for whatever he did, but it appears you can take care of yourself. Your bad side is not a place I would want to be green bean."

I let out a dry laugh "No, no it's not."

"The doors are going to open in a few minutes, I need to go, you're alright if I leave?"

I nodded "Yea, thanks for you know, being here."

"Anytime greenie, and don't forget to shuck up whatever jobs Alby gives you today, you're going to need all the help you can get if you want to convince the keepers to allow you to become a runner." He added

"Shouldn't be too hard, I've  already proven I can't follow directions very well."

"That's the spirit shank" he grinned before he turning and jogging in the opposite direction

"And Minho?" I called after him. "Don't tell anyone about what just happened alright? The last thing I need is everyone thinking I'm an emotional weak little girl."

"Wouldn't dream of it greenie" he called over his shoulder as he headed towards the map room.

********************************************************************************************************************

    After Minho left me, I took a few minutes to collect myself before heading back out to the homestead. By the time I made it back, most of the gladers were wrapping up breakfast and going off in various directions to work.

    "Hey green bean!" I heard a voice call, tearing me out of my thoughts. I turned around and saw Alby approaching me. He clapped me on the shoulder when he reached me, smiling "I just wanted to let you know that last night at the keepers meeting we made it a rule that none of the boys are allowed to touch you, and if they do they'll be banished like Reagan."

    "Banished?" I asked unfamiliar with the term, I had heard it been mentioned, but not an explanation of what it entailed.

    He nodded grimly "You'll see tonight, no one survives a night in the maze."

    I opened my mouth to tell him off about making that rule without my consent. It should be up to me to make decisions regarding my personal life, but I bit my tongue. I knew if I mentioned it they might get suspicious and if Alby or Gally found out that Newt had been briefly involved with each other, it would give them grounds to banish Newt. and as much as I despised him, I did not want that to happen to him.