Chapter 3

Chapter 3

            Apparently Newt knew the maze well, because on the way back we didn’t get lost once. He made every turn with full confidence, and didn’t stutter once. It wasn’t terribly hard to keep up with him as we ran. He kept a steady and even pace. I noticed the sun was setting and I was beginning to get anxious we wouldn’t make it back to “the Glade” or whatever Newt had called it, in time before the doors closed, but soon after we turned a final corner and I could see the doors only a few hundred feet from where we were.

            As we got closer I could see more and more people gathering around the doors, some looked angry, others relieved, and some just looked like they had no clue what to think about me. Once we were clear inside the doors, we stopped running, both of our chests heaving from lack of oxygen. The boys automatically began moving towards me and I shifted to that my back was to the wall and I was behind Newt, him standing between me and them.

            The leader, Alby, began walking towards me. My eyes began flickering nervously amongst all the boys, and I slipped my knife out of my boot and into my hand.

             Alby stopped walking and held up his hands “Hey calm greenie, calm.” 

            “Back up.” I meant it to sound strong and determined, but It came out as a whisper.

            Alby took another step.

            “I said back up!” I repeated, this time with more authority, and I held my knife up in front of me.

            Newt turned around and faced me; I backed up until my back hit the wall. I was shaking again, and I couldn’t help but feel like a cornered animal.

            “Hey.” Newt said softly “remember what I said in the maze, I won’t let them lock you in the slammer, you’re going to be fine, they just want to talk, they won’t hurt you okay?”

            I managed to give a little nod of my head.

            “Good that.” He agreed “now do you want to go into the homestead and we can get you some answers?”

            I nodded again

            “Arightly” He gently put his hand on mine and slipped the knife out of it, and pointed to a large structure across the glade “that’s the homestead, kind of like our home base in the glade, Alby can give you a tour once you get settled in.”

            At the sound of his name my eyes automatically flickered up to Alby who stood in the same spot as before, with his arms crossed and his eyes narrowed at me, it was clear he didn’t like me.

            The feeling was mutual, and I glared back before stepping around Newt and heading towards the homestead.

            “Bloody shank.” I heard Newt mumble under his breath from behind me

            “It’s not my fault your girlfriends doesn’t like me!” Alby shot back

            “She doesn’t like you because you wanted to lock her up, and she’s not my girlfriend, Gally would kill me.”

            I would’ve liked to hear Alby’s response, but I was out of earshot.

            I assumed Newt and Alby were close behind me when I reached the homestead, so I cautiously swung the door open.

            It was a small building, built mostly of wood and metal scraps. It was clear it had been hand built, and many repairs had been made to it, although it didn’t appear to be that old. Inside there were 3 very sweaty boys sitting in various forms of chairs, all looked completely exerted.

            The Asian one was the first to notice me standing in the doorway “So you made it back after all.” He speculated, taking a sip from a water bottle. “We were talking bets on if you’d make it back or not.”

            “Who are you?” I asked crisply, not in the mood for games anymore, I just wanted answers.

            “Dang shank take a joke would you, we’re the lucky guys who had the honor of chasing after you into the maze.”

            Well lucky guys who had the honor of chasing after me into the maze” I stuck out my hand towards the one who had spoken before “I’m Sage.”

            He seemed reluctant and then shook my hand “I’m Minho, Keeper of the Runners, and this is Ben” he gestured to the dirty blonde boy to his left “and Will.” He gestured to the right.

            I nodded to both of them “Nice to meet you both as well.” They smiled but didn’t get up out of their chairs.

            “Would any of you happen to know where Gally is?”

            Minho snorted immediately in response “Your dumb shank of a brother got himself locked in the slammer for trying to chase after you into the maze.”

            I was still attempting to wrap my brain around that when the door behind me banged open and Newt, Alby, and a selection of the boys who’d been standing at the doors filed into the homestead.

            Immediately I looked for Newt, and he was the last to enter, and he didn’t look happy.

            Alby came to stand directly in front of me, and he towered over me. He stared at me for a moment then nodded his head.

            Instantly the gladers all grabbed me at once, holding my arms and legs at my side and hoisted me into the air. I began thrashing and trying to get free, but it was to no avail, there were 6 of them and they were all stronger than me.  I managed to twist my head around to see Newt, he was sitting next to Minho, with my knife in his hands, his lips were turned down in a frown and his eyebrows were furrowed deep into his brow. His eyes flickered up to meet mine and I glared at him with as much anger and betrayal as I could possibly put into a stare.  

I continued to squirm, kick, and punch at every opportunity, but soon they had carried me out of the homestead and across the Glade. I heard a creaking noise and some scuffling, and then I was thrown onto the hard ground. The last thing I heard was  my head hitting the ground with a sickening thump, before the darkness took over and I lost consciousness

***Theres Chapter 3 I hope you enjoyed it! Comment below for a dedication and Vote!***