Chapter 6

Chapter 6

          It wasn't long after Newt and Alby left that Gally showed up with lunch for me. I was sitting with my back up against the far wall, concentrating on trying to free the dirt that was stuck underneath my nails, when I heard him arrive. He reached the door of the slammer and slid a tray of fresh food towards me, just as Newt had. I sighed and pulled it towards me. On it there was a chunk on bread, and a bowl of some sort of stew.

          "The stew's still warm, Fry Pan just finished it a few minutes ago.

          There was an awkward silence that followed. Neither of us were use of what we were supposed to say.

          "Can you remember anything else? I asked quietly whilst absentmindedly stirring the spoon around the bowl of stew.

          He shook his head "just my name and you." I nodded "That's all I can remember as well. It's so bizarre you know? Obviously there's got to be something there, It's like I'm in a dark room and there's a door of some sort, and I can see a small sliver of light through a crack underneath the door, but no matter how hard I turn the knob or push against the door it won't open."

          Gally nodded again, in agreement "it's how all of us here are, except the ones that've gone through the changing."

          I sat up straighter at the mention of something new "the changing, what's that?" I asked nonchalantly.

          He opened his mouth to answer then stopped "You know I'm not allowed to tell you anything."

          I sighed and set my untouched bowl of soup back on the tray. "That's what everybody keeps telling me, how much longer do I have to wait before somebody gives me the answers I was promised?"

          Then there were shouts and commotion coming from somewhere in the glade, that was out of my range of vision from where I was sitting, not that I could see much from anywhere in the slammer.

          Gally sighed as he pulled himself up to his feet "The doors will close in a few hours, and then you'll be let out. At some point you'll get a tour and then you'll get your answers." Then just like Newt and Alby he was gone, leaving me to my own thoughts again.

          You'd be surprised how long a few hours can drag on for when you've no memories and nothing to do, it was boring as all hell, let me tell you that. It was in the early hours of the evening, the sun was just barley sinking below the maze walls, when I heard the same echoing boom that'd I'd heard earlier that morning and last night. I stood up and peered out into the Glade. Thankfully, as promised there was a small group of boys making their way across the glade toward me.  When they got closer to me I was able to see that the group consisted of Newt, Gally, Alby, Minho, and a handful of other gladers that seemed vaguely familiar, but I didn't recognize any of them. It was only them I realized that I hadn't seen any other girls since I'd arrived in this wretched place. It seemed odd, but it wasn't my biggest issue at the moment, so I pushed the thought aside and focused on the matters at hand.

          As the group neared the slammer I slipped my knife back into my boot, to keep it out of their sight, but I could reach it if I needed to. They reached the door the door of the slammer just after the maze doors closed together with a resounding boom that echoed throughout the clearing. Alby stepped forward and slipped a key into the door, allowing it to swing open towards him. I climbed through the door and glanced around at them all warily.

          "I believe we've gotten off on the wrong foot." Alby spoke first. "How about we start over, forgive and forget?" he offered out his hand to me.

          I stared at him for a moment then extended my arm as well and shook his hand.  

          A small smile flickered across his mouth "Welcome to the Glade Sage." The others boys echoed his statement.

          "You'll get a tour tomorrow morning, and in the evening there'll be a gathering that'll decide some things."

          "What kind of things?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

          "Just some rules and regulations, standard stuff." He broke eye contact with me and looked around at the other boys.

          I nodded "Alright."  If Alby wanted me to play by his rules I would, but that didn't mean I'd let my guard down.