Chapter 7

Chapter 7

           Apparently there was going to be a bonfire party thing , at least that's what I managed to gather from everyone rushing about gathering and preparing various things. I was sent into the woods or the "deadheads", as the boy had called them, to gather wood.

           I was surprised to find I liked it in the deadheads, from the outside they seemed dark and daunting, with shadows that followed you and sparked fear of the unknown. But I found it peaceful. There was a small amount of sunlight that managed to stream through the leaves as the sun set, the noise of the glade was drowned out the father I walked.  

           I gathered an armful of wood and slowly began walking back to the glade. I wasn't in a hurry to get back. Now that I was out of the slammer there was always people watching me in the Glade. I could feel their eyes on me, even when I wasn't looking. And it wasn't in a good way. They stared at me like I was a piece of meat they wanted to eat.

    I was about halfway back when I heard a branch snap. The sound was crisp and clean, and it rung throughout the deadheads breaking the peaceful silence. I glanced around quickly, but I didn't see anything so I assumed it was an animal and ignored it. I had only taken a few more steps when I heard it again, this time it was closer.  I crouched down towards the ground, laid the wood I'd been carrying down, and in the same movement drew my knife from my boot and clenched it warily in my hand. "Who's there?" I attempted to make my voice as cold and intimidating as possible, as I turned in a circle examining my surroundings. I heard another snap, this time directly behind me. I spun on my heel towards the noise, my knife outstretched infront of me. It was the asian boy, Minho. He had both his hands up "Woah there green bean calm down." I lowered my knife slightly, but still kept it clenched in my hand. "Why are you sneaking up on me?" I demanded " I want to show you something."  He explained quietly, whilst glancing around warily. "Alby said I was to get the tour tomorrow, I'll wait till then." I picked up the wood and attempted to walk past him, back to the glade, but he stuck his arm out blocking my path. "It won't be on the tour tomorrow greenie." I raised an eyebrow and glanced at him "Why not?" "I suppose you'll have to come with me to find out." I raised an eyebrow but didn't respond. "Aren't you the least bit courious?" He continued "All you've wanted since you got here was answers and I'm going to give you some, and show you what the others don't want you to see."

    I had to admit I was quite curious, I desperatly wanted to see what he wanted to show me,but I knew he wasn't just offering me this out of the goodness of his heart. "And what do you want in return?"  Minho shook his head slightly "Nothing, at the moment, I'll get back to you on that, after you see what I've to show you."

    Half of my body was telling me to go back to the glade and pretend this encounter never happened, but the other half was itching to find out more, and after a few moments of silence and pondering, that side won out. "Alright" i locked eyes with him again "lead the way."

    It turned out our destination wasn't far from where we were. Minho walked deeper into the deadheads, with me shadowing him, for a few minutes before he stopped abruptly in front of a small structure. It was small, only 10 meters or  so in diameter, and it appeared it was built hastily out of wood.

    Minho carefully cracked  open the door and poked his head inside before opening it the rest of the way and gesturing for me to follow him in. "Its clear."

    I hesitantly walked in, paying no attention as the door closed behind me. "Holy shit." In front of me was a giant round table that took up most of the room. On it there appeared to be some sort of map, built from small sticks bound together with twine and glue of some sort. There was a square in the middle labeled Glade and around it was what appeared to be a mapping of "the maze?" I breathed out

    Minho nodded "right on green bean."

"why are you showing me this Minho?" I asked, but my eyes didn't leave the map. He was silent.

"Why does it just stop here?"  My hand ghosted over the outskirts of the maze, where it appeared to just stop.

"It doesn't." He finally answered "this is the maze greenie. And as of right now we're trapped here. Until we find a way out. Now tomorrow when you get the tour Alby will show you all the different jobs we have around here; Medjack, Gardener, Builder, Slicer, Cook, and Runner. For the next few days you'll be spending each day with a Keeper, the head of each job. Then when you're done, the Keepers will decide which job you get. My guess is they're either going to want to stick you with the Medjacks or Cooks .Gally is the Keeper of the Builders so they might put you with him but that's not likely. But I want you in my group, that's why I brought you here.

"What are you a keeper of?" My mind was racing, trying to process all the new information I was being given.

"I'm the Keeper of the Runners, and everyday we go out into the Maze and run trying to fund a way out, then we come back and map all the patterns here, only Alby and the Runners are allowed in here. I saw the way you ran out into the Maze. You're fast and smart, you could easily be the best Runner we have, you might be able to help us get out of here."

"I'll do it." I answered immediately.

He shook his head "didn't you listen to anything I just said shank, they're not going to want to let you be a runner.

"So then what do you want me to do then?"  I put my hands on my hips and glared at him. I didn't know what the word shank meant but it didn't sound nice.

"You've got to make it so the other Keepers don't want you. Whatever they ask you to do, mess it up some how. I'll do the rest do we have a deal."

I nodded "deal."

His lips broke into a small smile " alrighty then green bean, you can head back but don't tell anyone about this, no one can know I brought you here alright?"

I nodded, spared one last glance at the map, and then left.