Chapter 13

Chapter 13

    The next morning I was woken up at the asscrack of dawn by Minho unceremoniously dumping me out of my hammock.

    "What the shuck is wrong with you?" I grumbled as I  pulled myself to my feet and brushed myself off.

    "Nothing's wrong with me princess, just making you got up in time to have a bite to eat before your first day." He shot me one of his trademark sassy smirks before walking away towards the kitchen leaving me only to roll my eyes and follow him.

    The glade was more or less deserted, the only ones awake were Alby, the runners, and Frypan. When I approached the kitchen the other runners began giving me looks. And not nice like "Oh there's that new hot girl" looks like "eww who the shuck is this piece of trash" looks. Which I did not appreciate in the least, and responded with a pleasant "You shanks are all beneath me" glare down my nose. lets just say that they redirected their eyes mighty quick. All except one. of course, Newt. How could I have forgotten he was a runner.

    He was seated at a table on the far side of the dining area surrounded by a few other runners. And he was glaring. Not at me, which was surprising, but at Minho. His glare was filled with not quite hatred, but anger. Which was probably caused by me becoming a runner, which of course made me feel slightly guilty, I brushed it off. It wasn't my fault he was acting like he was on his man period, kissing me, then saying he wanted nothing to do with me and ignoring me, and then pretending he knew what was best for me. "What an asshat." I mumbled out loud to myself, before heading towards Frypan, who was dishing out food.

    I quickly filled up my plate with some sort of meat, along with what I assumed to be eggs.

    As I turned to walk towards a table, I was roughly pushed over by someone who was walking by me. the plate slipped from my hands, and my food scattered all over the floor. I looked up to see who caused the mess. Of course it was him. Newt. His name was beginning to have a negative connotation in my mind, but when I saw him standing about me I still felt my stomach do a flip.

    "What the hell shuckface?" I immediately pulled myself up and shoved him back roughly.  He kept his glare even with me as he responded "Well it's not my bloody fault you're clumsy, do you think you'll even be able to run without face planting?"As his loud words rang out, they captured the attention of all of the gladers.

    "You know what?" I asked forcing out a laugh and putting my hand on my hip

    "What?" he asked smirking sarcastically

    "You." I jabbed my finger in his face "Need to get off your goddamn high horse and pull your panties out of a twist. I'm going to be a runner, and there's nothing you can do without it so suck it up buttercup."

    My outburst left the room deadly silent, you probably could've heard a pin drop. I moved past him, walking out, but I paused momentarily in the doorway and turned slightly "And Newt?" I made my voice as sickly sweet as possible "If you ever touch me again. Someone's going to get hurt, and I can guarantee it will not be me." I tossed my hair and continued out the door, not even caring that I had no breakfast anymore.

.     I wasn't sure where to head, so thankfully Minho came running out after me

    "Hey green bean"

    I rolled my eyes at the name, but ignored it "What Minho?"

    "You forgot your breakfast" He pushed a new plate of food into my hands

    I sighed and accepted it "Thanks"

    "You really put Newt in his place back there." he stated, I remained silent. That was the last thing I wanted to think about.

    "Oh well, come on" he dragged my arm lightly and pulled me in the direction of the deadheads "Lets get you some gear."

********************************************************************************************************************

    Minho led me to the map room. "You still have your knife right?" I nodded and slipped it into my hand.

    He nodded "Good. So what's gonna happen is you're going to run with me today, and probably for a week or so until I feel comfortable enough to let you run on your own. At noon we stop for lunch, and as we run we map our route in these" he handed me a small notebook with a pencil. "And when we get back we come straight to the map room and map out the entire route to see if we can find a patten. Then we wake up and do it again."

    I nodded, indicating that I understood

    "Here" he threw me a small pack "Your lunch and water's in there"

    "Thanks." I slung it across my back

    "Good then let's go the doors are opening in a few minutes."

    We headed out of the map room, and the deadheads, and then walked to the doors. Where the other runners, and Gally were waiting.

    "Be careful alright?" He asked, concern covering his face, as he hugged me tightly

    "Why would you miss me if something happened?" I giggled and pinch his cheeks lightly

    "Yes." he grumbled and swatted my hand away "I just got you back, I don't want to loose you again."

    "Well don't worry, Minho said he'll take great care of me, ain't that right Minho?" I called over my shoulder to him. "Yea of course" he said distractedly. as he was busy fixing his hair in the reflection of his knife, which caused me to chuckle lightly before turning back to Gally. "I'll be fine, don't worry." I attempted to reassure him, as worry was still etched into his forehead.

    "I know, but that doesn't mean I won't worry"

    "Alright, alright I hate to break up this cute sibling bonding, but the doors are going to open any second now." Minho barged in, apparently done fixing his hair.

    I felt my breakfast churning in my stomach, and I was unsure if it was of excitement, or nervousness, hopefully excitement.

    As if on cue, a loud rumbling began and the large stone doors slowly began to separate.

    "Are you ready for this princess?" Minho was jumping up and down on the balls of his feet lightly.

    I nodded my head jerkily, I could feel my heart rate increasing out of anticipation.

    "Then lets go." He grabbed my arm and took off running into the maze, leaving me no choice but to take a deep breath and run after him.