Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Gally rocked back onto his heels and stumbled backwards blinking quickly. I pulled myself to my feet and looked at my surrounding warily. The boys had formed a semicircle around me, blocking my exit through the passageway, making me feel like a cornered dog. The boys were looking back and forth between Gally and me with confused expressions across their faces.

"Hey" an older African-American boy, who held a sense of leadership and control, pushed his way to the front of the crowd. "Listen greenie we're not going to hurt you okay? My names Alby"

I refused to say anything, just looked around fleetingly before bringing me gaze back to Gally's. I couldn't tell if he remembered who I was; his face was full of masked confusion.

Alby took a slow step towards me "Do you remember your name Greenie?"

I immediately stumbled backwards a few more steps, my head was spinning. I couldn't compute what was happening. I just wanted to get away from wherever I was. I didn't feel safe I felt like a caged animal being hunted.

"Listen your gonna have to talk sometime greenie, we're not going to hurt you, you're safe, so just calm down."

I looked back up and saw the Gally had pushed his way back through the crowd to the front.

"Her name is Sage." He announced "And I think she's my sister." I felt relief wash over me.

Apparently nobody else was as happy as I was that he knew me because there were immediate shouts of surprise and accusation shouted at us. I retreated a few more steps backwards.

"What the shuck are you saying Gally?" Alby asked, once the shouting had initially died down.

He sighed "Her name is Sage, and she's my sister. I remember her."

There was another outburst of shouts, but it was quickly silenced by Alby.

"You remember her? Do you remember anything else?"

"No, I don't, just her, but there's no shucking memories, just that she's my sister." Gally looked unhappy with that, although it was the same for me as well.

"What are we going to do with her?" one of the boys from the crowd asked "Why did they send a girl, we've never gotten a girl before."

"I say we lock her in the slammer, like she's a normal Greenie, it don't matter that she's a girl."

"She tried to run into the maze, who's to say she won't again."

The boys continued talking and arguing amongst themselves as if I wasn't there. The majority of them, except Gally, seemed set on locking me in the "slammer" I didn't know what that was but it didn't sound particularly enjoyable.

I was contemplating what I should do next when I noticed another opening in the walls, on the far side of the clearing. If I could get enough of a head start I knew I could make it to them and out of this place without them catching up to me.

I cautiously took another step slowly backwards, but the boys were still too busy arguing amongst themselves to notice. I suppressed a grin and I took one more step, still no reaction. I knew they wouldn't stay distracted forever so I took a deep breath, turned and ran.

I must've gone over 300 yards before I heard shouting from behind me, and I knew that was as much as a head start as I would need. I pushed my legs to move faster and stride as long and they could. I inhaled crisp air through my nose, to quench my burning lungs, but I didn't stop running. I didn't even look back. I felt adrenaline kick in and I began to run even faster. Within 30 seconds I had crossed the entire clearing and I was bursting into the stone passageways and continuing to run through them. The wall stretched high towards the sky, and I could barely see the top of them when I tried to look up. The passage ways began to split off into other passageways that split off into more. I had no clue what direction I was going in so I just ran.