Chapter 5

Chapter 5

            24 hours is a long time to be locked up with nothing to do. For a while I tried to remember something, anything would've been nice, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't, and it gave me a terrible headache from concentrating so hard. After that I decided to take a nap, but it didn't last long because as soon as the sun came up the boys were out and about yelling and making a racket.

            For a while I tried pacing, but there wasn't much room to do so and my stomach felt as if there was a small animal inside it trying to crawl its way out. So I settled lying on my back in the center of the slammer, just so that the rays of the sun were pleasantly dancing across my face, warming it slightly. That's when I started to sing. I was singing songs I didn't even know that I knew, there were no memories that came along with them, just words and a simple melody.

            I allowed the words to flow off of my lips smoothly, letting my mind wander and create fantasies to fill in for the memories that I had lost.

            I imagined myself a family. A mother with soft brown hair, kind eyes and a gentle face, a father who worked a lot but cherished his time with his family, and Gally who was an older brother that anybody could wish for, he would help me with my homework, and made sure no one would try and steal my lunch money again. We lived in a nice house, not too small, but not too large either. It had a nice yard with a white picket fence and a dog that would take afternoon naps in the shade under the tree in the backyard.

            I was shocked out of my daydream when I heard someone clearing their throat. I opened my eyes and shot up pressing my back against the far wall of the slammer.

            Newt was crouched outside the door of the slammer with a tray of food in his hands.  He slowly opened the door and jumped down inside the cage, sat down across from me and pushed the tray towards me.

            "Eat up."

            I raised an eyebrow in his direction, but didn't move.

            "I can practically hear your stomach growling from over here, I know you're hungry."

            I crossed my arms subconsciously over my stomach but still refused to respond verbally.

            He sighed angrily "really? You're going to bloody ignore me? I tried to keep them from putting you in here! I'm not out running today so I could make sure they didn't hurt you again, I'm on your bloody side!"

            "Running where?" I asked curiously

            He threw his arms up in the air out of exasperation "out of that entire speech the only thing you got out of it was that I'm supposed to be running?"

            "Uh yea." I acted like it was obvious and raised my eyebrows "so are you going to tell me or not."

            "I can't!" he ran his fingers through his hair. "I told you last night, I have shucking orders I have to follow."

            "Fine." I turned around so I was facing the wall and closed my eyes.

            "Really? You're going to ignore me again? Sage I'm trying to help you alright?"

            "If you're trying to help me then why did you lie?" I stood up and spun around to face him "Why did you take my knife and let them throw me in here, huh? Why aren't you telling me anything! I just want some answers!" as I spat out the final word I felt a wave of emotions rush over me and force me back onto the ground.

            Anger. Betrayal. Pain. Loss. Confusion. Hope.  All at once I felt the weight of everything that had happened bearing down onto to me making my head spin and tears spring from my eyes.

            Maybe I was still in shock, or the adrenalin of yesterday's events was finally wearing off but all of the sudden I couldn't take it. My chest was heaving, forcefully trying to inhale oxygen, while I could feel a sudden wetness soaking my cheeks and down my face.

            I felt a warm arm wrap around me from the side and I involuntarily leaned into it, pressing my face against it, grateful for the comfort.

            "shh" I could hear Newt mumbling into my hair "it's okay, it's gonna be okay alright? You're safe here, nobody's gonna hurt you, it's okay."

            I'm not sure how long we sat there, like that. Once I had finally calmed down enough I fell asleep before I even knew what was happening. Not that I entirely minded. Newt's chest happened to be very warm and comfortable. 

                          It must've been a few hours later when I was awakened by a loud banging noise.  I sat up and rubbed my eyes, momentarily forgetting where I was. Alby was standing outside the door of the slammer hitting his arm repeated on the door, creating the loud banging noise.

                        "Wake up shank" He demanded in a low voice.  I looked next to me and saw Newt was still there, and by the looks of it he had fallen asleep as well and was just beginning to wake up. I pulled away and gently nudged him with my elbow causing him to topple over and press his face in the ground, he groaned as he sat up causing me to grin momentarily before I remembered that Alby was still there.

            "What do you want Alby?"  He mumbled his voice thick with sleep.

                "What the shuck do you think you're doing Newt?"

            He rolled his eyes as he pulled himself back into a sitting position "I told you I was taking a bloody day off to watch after her." He jerked his head in my direction

            "Yea well last time I checked shank, watching after her did not include joining her in the slammer for some one-on-one time and taking a shuck nap together." Alby snapped back, in obvious disapproval.

            I could feel my cheeks heat up when Alby mentioned "one-on-one time" it left something to be desired, and insinuated something else had happened, when in reality nothing did.

            "Gally just went to get Sage some food from Fry Pan, so I suggest you get your klunk together and leave. You saw what he did last night when James mentioned that Sage wasn't too hard on the eyes, imagine what he would do if her found out about your little" he made quotes with his fingers ""bonding time" with his baby sister."

            Newt rolled his eyes as he stood up and brushed of his pants "I'm not afraid of that shank."  He addressed Alby before picking up the tray of untouched food and turning back to me "Just a few more hours, then I'll be back to let you out, and you'll get all the answers you want."  I nodded in acknowledgement allowing a ghost of a smile to appear on my lips "see you then, I guess."

            Newt turned to leave but I stood up and quickly hugged him tightly, he was tense for a moment before he relaxed and hugged me back for a moment before I pulled away. "Thank  you  Newt." I said quietly.

            He nodded and a troubled look crossed his face before he turned and Alby unlocked the Slammer to let him out, and then the door was locked, they were both gone and I was alone again.