Chapter 15

Chapter 15

     8 months. That's how long I've been stuck in this shuck place. After a month or two I began to despise it as much as Minho. It was my home, the only home I could remember, but it wasn't my home by choice. I was stuck, and I had been trying for 8 months, for no avail to find a way out.

     It was enough to break a person. If it wasn't for Minho and Gally I would've broken long ago. I'd had my fair share of meltdowns, we all knew we had them, but we pretended we didn't notice when a glader would wonder off to the deadheads and minutes later faint sobs and yells would reach our ears. We couldn't do anything to comfort them, we had no way out, we had no answers, so eventually when I found myself in the deadheads, I knew no one would come.

     One person made more frequent visits to the deadheads then everyone else, weekly, and often times daily. I pretended I didn't notice when Newt would get up and leave dinner, or a bonfire only to appear an hour or so later with puffy eyes and a scratchy voice, but I did notice. And I hated myself for it. He had made his feeling for me very clear, and continued to do so, when he wasn't busy ignoring my entire existence. I also knew that he thought I felt the same way about him. I had done everything in my power to make it known that I hated him. I ignored him and when we were forced to interact I treated him like a bug on the bottom of my shoe. Minho had called me out on it once, when we were in the map room, demanding an explanation for the endless war of hatred that was fought between his two best friends. That was the first day I broke in the deadheads.

     I gave Minho a snarky remark about how Newt's head was too far up his ass to understand anything, but the disapproving, disappointed look Minho gave in response was what pushed me over the edge. I moved past him to leave the map room, my face was crumpling with each step, my mask slipping off. I reached the door and opened it, ready to flee, only to bump straight into the last person I wanted to see.

     Newt's eyebrows furrowed when he saw me, and his mouth opened, but I didn't give him a chance to even form the words. I pushed past him, my shoulder hitting his chest roughly, forcing him out of my way as I fled. I broke into a run and the tears began to fall down my cheeks, blurring my vision. I stumbled along until I was sure I was far enough into the deadheads that no one would hear me break.

     I fell harshly against a tree and my body began shaking as all of the bottled up feelings I had been holding in found their way to the surface.

     Newt hated me.

     We were stuck in the maze.

     I made Newt hate me.

     I couldn't find a way out of the maze.

     Newt hated me and it was my fault.

     We couldn't escape the maze and it was my fault.

     It was all my fault.

     It is all my fault.

     The words echoed around my head, repeating and rephrasing.

     Everything was my fault.

     It was all my fault.

     The high pitched beeping of my runners watch dragged me out of my reminiscent thoughts, reminding me that my lunch break was over, and I needed to keep moving if I was going to make it back to the Glade before the doors close.

     The run back was boring, as always the maze stuck to the pattern Minho and I had figured out months ago. Once I was a few minutes from the doors, I glanced at my watch and sighed. I was an hour early. Don't get me wrong the maze is not the ideal place for time to yourself, but next to the Glade it's the lesser of two evils.

     I slowed my pace to a walk and sat down with my back slumped against the wall. I tilted my head upwards, enjoying the quiet that the maze brought. Many of the other runners found it creepy, but I found it serene. The Glade was never this quiet, even at night the boy's snores prevented it. This was the only time where I could feel truly peaceful. But of course, all good things must come to an end.

     My peacefulness was disrupted, not with the steps of runners as it normally was, but with a loud thud that echoed down the passages of the maze, and disappeared as suddenly as it had occurred.

     The silence that replaced it was not peaceful as it had been but was now eerie and off.

     Something was wrong.

     I pulled myself and began jogging to wear the sound had come from.

     My heart pounded in my chest as I turned each corner half expecting a griever, but what I was found was much more horrifying.

     I skidded to stop as I turned the corner and my stomach sank at the sight before me.

     There was a body crumpled next to the wall of the maze, and as soon as I saw the blonde hair I knew who it was.

     Before I knew what I was doing my legs carried me down the corridor and I slid to a stop, kneeling next to the face down body.

     "Please don't be dead, please don't be dead." I mumbled as I slowly turned him over so his face was facing up.

     His face was bloody, scratched and raw from hitting the hard ground, and there was fresh blood matted in his hair. But that wasn't the only blood.

     I felt bile rise in my throat as I took what used to be his leg.

     It was mangled beyond anything I had ever seen, worse than the injuries that the slicers got.

     I reached down and turned it slightly. His bone had pierced the skin and was sticking out the side of his leg.

     I had to turn over my shoulder to keep my vomit from landing on him.

     I didn't know what else to do so I gently picked his head up and placed it in my lap. I ran my fingers through his hair as I felt hot tears begin to stream down my cheeks. It was then I managed to voice the thought that had been repeating itself over and over in my head since I turned the corner and saw the body.

     "What did you do to yourself Newt?"   

(A/N: I am so sorry It's taken me so long to update, I've been insanely busy with college apps and school stuff. Thank you to all of you for your comments during my absence, I don't reply to all of them but I do read them all. I'm also sorry about The Death Cure (book) spoilers in this chapter I didn't want to put a warning at the beginning so it would be a surprise. Sorry again!)

Don't forget to vote and comment for a dedication on the next chapter! xx