Chapter 21 (Joker's POV)

I admit it, Harmony's comment about her not wanting to be my daughter really hurt, but I wasn't surprised she said it, especially after how I treated her mother, and how I ignored Harmony for my work. I had told Harmony on her 16th birthday because I thought she was ready to know about her mother then, plus she kept taking the photo of Harley that I kept in shirt drawer. Yes, I felt rather guilty over how I treated both of them, but it was kinda hard to do that and to change who I was. 

Harmony being the way she was and me thinking about Harley reminded me of how I found out about Harley being pregnant with Harmony. It was another day of planning one of my greatest heists, taking over the Amusement Mile to have as my own, though at the time I was working for someone other than Carl Grissom then. I could hear the henchmen - that I had told not to let anyone in that could distract me  - talking to someone. 

"We could let you in, Miss Quinn, but the boss won't like it." The 1st henchman spoke, confidently 

"Oh, but it's so important." Harley nervously replied, desperation in her voice.

"Alright, but the boss'll kill us." The 2nd henchman spoke, though with a little fear in his voice; he was scared of me and I could use this in the future. What fun that would be. 

Harley nervously shuffled in as the 2 men opened the door for her (it was a large steel door, but even with her surprisingly strong muscles, even Harley couldn't open it alone). I continued to scribble on the blue prints I had been writing my plans on. She nervously walked up to stand behind me, a few feet away; I could tell she was scared and who could blame her? The poor girl probably thought I was going to hit her. I probably would have too, if she didn't explain why she interrupted me as quickly as she did. 

"Puddin', I need to tell you something. Something important." The usual cheeriness in her voice was replaced with fear. I continued to work, not lifting my head to look at her, which I later felt a slight bit guilty over. She stood with her left hand over her right arm; she rubbed her arm. 

"Make it quick, Harley; I'm busy." I told her harshly, just wanting peace and quiet to continue my work. My head still down, my eyes on the paper and my hand on the pencil.

What she said next surprised me into the next week, because I honestly had not expected it, "I... Umm... I'm pregnant, Mistah J."

Harley cowered expecting me to hurt her in some way. I slowly stood up, placing the palms of my hands separately on the desk, after placing my pencil down. My head bowed, I told her to, "Come here,"

WIthout hesitation, Harley did as she was asked, not wanting to make the situation worse than she thought it was. I turned as soon as she was stood right next to me, and I did the unexpected for her. I hugged her, proudly exclaiming, "Harls, that's great news; we have got to go celebrate!"  

You see, Harley and I have honestly been trying for a child. For me it was more selfish reasons at the time; I wanted a child to continue my legacy. But, the thing was, we tried everything and still nothing. Until now that was. I was over the moon to hear that news come out of her mouth. 

"But, puddin', what about your plans?" Harley asked 

"My family is more important, Harley, my dear." 

The flashback ended when my phone vibrated; it was a message from Harmony. She was apologising about what she had said before. She also mentioned that Dick and his family made her realise she wouldn't be as happy or who she was without me. That girl really does take after her mother. 

(Author's note: Just a quick one)