Chapter 29 (Joker's POV)

Going to Vicki's apartment that afternoon and seeing Bruce Wayne reminded me of an event that happened when I was in my teens - early 20's.

I think I was around 20 at the time, as was Harley, who was pregnant with our child. A friend and I had planned to rob the rich Wayne family, but Jake - the friend I was doing the robbery with - didn't intend on shooting anyone. I, on the other hand, had other ideas in case they started something. We decided to do the robbery because, well at the time we were low on money and with the new baby on the way, we needed a bit of a boost. 

It was also an excuse to get out of the house since Harley was in one of the moods pregnant women go on, whenever they want. We intended on robbing the wallet of Thomas Wayne and the really expensive pearls his wife, Martha, wore, and then sell off the pearls. We didn't know the kid was gonna be with them, but went on with the robbery anyway.

It was Jake to perform the robbery, since I was to stand there and hold the gun to them. It was rather foggy down the alleyway we were down, so it was hard to see, but once I saw Jake was struggling, when it came to Martha Wayne, because of her husband, I stepped in. I shot the husband and wife, and then aimed at the kid. 

Stepping out of the fog, I asked him, while pointing the gun at him (no witnesses, not that he'd tell since he was in shock), "Tell me, kid. Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?" 

Jake repeated, "Man, let's go; let's go, Jack," In a worried and panicked voice. I took the pearls with me for Harley as a present to help her get into a better mood.

Before I went, I said, "See ya round, kid." 

Harley was about 2 and half months in to her pregnancy and we already knew she was having a baby girl, but her baby bump was smaller than the average pregnant female because of how skinny she was, and she probably still is. I tried all I can to help her feel better about herself since she thought she was fat and that I'd leave her (never in a million years). We were basically still kids at the time, but we were mature enough to look out for one another, plus a child, well, she was, but I could help. 

The day before the prom, my men and I prepared to do an advertisement for the anniversary. We ended up interrupting the news and the mayor making a speech about the festival being cancelled. 

I wore skin coloured foundation to reveal what I looked like before the whole Ace Chemicals incident a few months back; I also wore black leather gloves and wore temporary black hair dye. I sat in a large leather arm chair.

"Joker here...
Now you fellas have said some pretty mean things. Some of which were true. Like my boss, Grissom. he was a thief, and a terrorist. On the other hand he had a competitive singing voice. He's dead now. He's left me in charge. Now, I can be theatrical. Maybe even a little rough. But, one thing I am not... is a killer. I'm an artist who loves to party. So commence en festival. And have I got a surprise for Gotham City. At midnight, I will dump $20 million in cash on the crowd. Don't worry about me. I've got enough. 
You heard it folks, 20 million and they'll be entertainment. A big duke-a-roo. Me in one corner, and in the other corner the man who has brought real terror to Gotham City, the Batman. You hear me? Just the two of us. Mono e mono. I have taken off my make up. Let's see if you can take off yours." 

The next day, I stood at the end of the corridor, when Harmony came out of her bedroom in her forest green prom dress, looking even more beautiful. Her hair laid elegantly over her shoulders; it was styled in a kind of plait. I couldn't believe it, my little girl had grown up.

Not long ago she had said she'd go to the prom with or without a date and so she had, well, one boy dared to ask her and that was a boy called Dick Grayson, who she had been dating for a few months now. He was to pick her up in less than an hour, so she wanted to spend as much time as possible getting ready and she had spent almost all day getting ready, making herself look as pretty as she thought she could. 

She already looked beautiful and I didn't think she could be so even more. She looked so graceful, yet daring - like her mother. I may not have loved her mother as best as I could, but I did love her as much as I loved Harmony and that was a lot. 

She had grown up so much in the past year or so and I certainly remember the day she was born; it was almost 5 in the morning on a Saturday (26th July to be exact), when Harley woke up and grabbed my thigh very tightly. Her nails almost causing me to bleed. 

"Jack, the baby's coming," she said as she began to get out of bed; I followed, putting together a night bag for a few nights. We went out the door as quick as we could, heading in my car to Elliot Memorial Hospital. It was around 12:00 (lunch time), when Harmony Napier was born. 

Harley laid in the hospital bed holding Harmony; she wore a tired smile and was gently rocking our new baby girl. I sat on the edge of the bed, next to Harley's side, "She's beautiful, just like her mother." 

"She sure is. Jack, what happens if we can't look after her?" Harley frowned, looking into my eyes.

"Don't worry, I'll find a way to take care of you both." I smiled; she passed Harmony to me and I took my turn of rocking her to sleep. We were let out almost a few days later, but Harmony had to go back into hospital due to problems with her behaviour changing almost instantly. It was like two personalities in one person. We were told by a friend that had his own children to go to the hospital. 

I'll be honest, it wasn't easy looking after a baby at the age Harley and I were, especially one that had a split personality. Plus, we hardly had any money, so I had to commit a few (paid) crimes to help us along. We managed though, and we definitely had fun growing more mature with our baby. She was incredibly smart, even as a baby. 

I was knocked out of my blast from the past, when I heard a knock at the door; Harmony was still getting ready (with her make up) - she only came out to show me her dress and hair. I went to answer and found young Richard ready to pick up his date for the night. 

"Good evening, Mr Napier." Dick smiled, politely shaking my hand. 

"Good evening, Grayson." I shook his hand in return, "You'll have to wait for a few minutes, she's still getting ready." 

"Okay, sir," He smiled; he seemed very happy about that night, and he should be. Anyone to date my daughter should feel lucky. Even though they had only been together for a few months, Harmony and Dick knew each other quite well, so he knew she would use make up to try and make herself look more beautiful - which she didn't really need to do. 

Harmony strolled out of the room, all dolled up and looking as beautiful as ever. I grabbed the camera off the breakfast nook and started taking photos of the couple, smiling all the while. "Smile, you two." 

They shielded their eyes from the bright flashes from the camera, but still smiled. I took at least 100 photos, just to make sure they were good ones, before Harmony stepped in. She took the camera off me, saying she'd need it for that night, which I thought she would. 

"My little girl, all grown up." I smiled, imitating someone crying.

"Aw, daddy, don't go crying on me now." I walked with the couple to the front of the apartment to see 2 black horses pulling a carriage parked up on the sidewalk, "Wow, aw, Dick, you didn't need to go to such great lengths." 

"I wanted to make tonight special for you." He shyly smiled giving Harmony a purple orchid and white rose corsage, before the two of them climbed into the carriage and went on their way.