Chapter 5: Harmony's POV

My dad had given me money to out and buy a few writing supplies, and when I say 'a few', I mean he had given me enough for all the things I needed, plus the whole store. I had to admit dad did spoil me a lot. That was because I am his only child, and my mum had been missing since I was a baby.

I came out of what felt like my hundredth, but final store – bags galore -; I had been to my usual suppliers for writing supplies and then a music shop beforehand, so I felt to end the day why not treat myself to some merchandise from the shows I watch (for example: Doctor Who) and get my dad something while I was there. Because I had piled the bags into my arms – having no other way to carry them – they covered my field of vision, when I exited the shop. So, what did I do? I bumped into someone as I usually did; what a way to try to make friends around here. I heard a manly ‘umph’ from the other person as we both fell to the concrete ground, my shopping flying everywhere.

I began to apologise to the stranger and collect my shopping at the same time, giving a nervous giggle; the stranger, whose face I had yet to see, helped pick my shopping up, “I’m so sorry; I think I piled them up too high.”

“It’s okay, really; I was on my phone, so I wasn’t looking where I was going either.” His voice sounded deep and dreamy; I could tell by this – and when we bumped into each other – that he was going to be quite a muscular guy. We stood up, him kind of handing my shopping back and trying to help. That was when we saw each other for the first time, since our accidental meeting, “Do you want me to help?”

I was caught up with how amazing his blue eyes were, I didn’t know he had said something, until I snapped myself out of it, “Are you sure? I don’t want to trouble you anymore than I already have.”

He seemed pretty sure about helping me and he did seem nice; but, looks can be deceiving, right? I was right about him being muscular and he looked like he worked out a lot. His dark brown hair was cut short with a little fringe flick – that made him look innocent, but also like a bad boy at the same time.

“It’s no bother, really.” He smiled; I let him carry a few bags, “I love to help people in need and you certainly looked like you had your hands full. So, does my accidental friend have a name, or do I call you accident prone?”

Funny; he did look kind of embarrassed to have said that, so I’ll let him off. Was he blushing? Yes, he was! He smirked, and it was the kind to make you go weak at the knees. I was worried if he would run away or just not want to know me, once he knew my name.

I struggled to hold out a hand for him to shake and balance my shopping; he shook it, “Harmony Napier,”

What was the point in not telling the truth? It was plainly obvious I was the Joker’s daughter.

“Hey, aren’t you the Joker’s daughter? You’re really kind compared to what he seems to be.” The stranger replied; see I knew that was coming.

“Yeah, I do get that; if they don’t run away. I hardly have any friends because everyone thinks the worst of me.” I frowned, thinking of the kids at school, who had ran away when I tried to make friends. I do admit this, I made a few friends at first, when nobody knew The Joker was my dad, but once my supposed to be best friend knew she left me, and that was basically who started it off. I don’t mind anymore though, but I did hate when people judge too quick, “My dad is my best friend, and always has been, to be honest. You probably think that’s sad, but I don’t and I love my dad, as he does with me.”

“I don’t think that’s sad at all, everyone needs a friend. Well, I don’t know your dad personally, but he seems like an awesome dad from what you’ve said.” I was still waiting on what his name was, so for now I’ll refer to him as the stranger for now; he sweetly smiled – oh my goodness, that smile -. I couldn’t believe how fast I was falling for someone I had just met.

“So, what’s your name; I gave you mine, so you give me yours?” I smirked, trying to be as cute as he was.

“Gosh, you do have your daddy’s demanding side, don’t ya?” He chuckled, “Name’s Richard Grayson, but my friends and family call me Dick. Don’t make any wise cracks; it’s been done a hundred and one times before. I’m an acrobat in the Gotham Travelling Circus with my family; I was just taking a break. Lucky I did, isn’t it?”

“I guess so, Dick,” I smiled; he didn’t look much older than me, and I was 16.

“So, what do you think of Batman, since – you know – he’s your dad’s enemy; is he yours?” Dick asked;

I wasn’t exactly surprised because people who were ‘brave’ enough to talk to me tended to ask. I sort of saw it coming; I replied with a shrug of my shoulders, “Well, I don’t mind him; it was an accident after all, but get this right Batman isn’t my enemy. I don’t like having enemies. I don’t see why people think that.”

“Do you think he’s good or bad?” Dick asked, and a few other questions after; he seemed curious to know my opinions of Batman.  

“I think he’s good,” I put simply, and then went on, “You’re asking a lot of questions on what I think of Batman.”

“Am I? Sorry, I’m just curious; let’s get you home, shall we?” Dick smiled, sounding a bit reluctant, but like he wanted to get off the topic now.”

I really didn’t want to leave him. I know we had just met, but I felt we’d known each other for years. He was my only friend, other than my dad

“It’s okay; no way, I want to know more about you, since you asked me quite a lot,” I smiled as I sat on a nearby bench – not giving him much of a choice – and he joined me.

“There’s not much to tell, but I’ll try my best.” He grinned, and I signalled for him to continue, “I’m the youngest of three, in a gymnastic family. The circus we’re with is like my family, but in my real family I have a brother and sister, plus me, my mum and dad. I play guitar and love motorcycles, I own one actually. Well, that’s about it; I sound pretty boring actually.” He chuckled.

“Guitar and motorcycles, eh? Sounds pretty interesting to me,” I smiled

As he had said before, Dick took me home to my apartment, carrying most of the bags I had. Outside my apartment, he asked, “Hey, do you have a boyfriend?”

I was surprised by the question, and it was quite obvious I was too; I was curious to know why he wanted to know, but I just answered with, “No,” He shyly smiled, after I answered him. I unlocked the door to find nobody home – not at all surprising -, so Dick brought my bags in for me. He even gave me his mobile number, before he left, and in return I gave him mine.

“I guess I’ll see you again sometime.” Dick smiled as he left.

I shut the door, and began squealing; I finally had a friend. I felt lonely when he left and I already missed him, but I had a friend other than my dad!