Chapter 16

-The Reason-

Within seconds, Newt and I were sprinting towards the writhing figure. I dropped to my knees beside my brother as Newt proceeded to clamp hold of his shoulders to stop him from writhing about too much.

Teresa, Chuck and a few others had congregated around Thomas.

"Grab his legs!" Newt yelled.

I moved to my brother's kicking legs and dived at them, trying to pin them down.

Through his flailing, his right foot swung upwards and knocked me over, sending me sprawling into the dirt.

"Ah you little sh-"

"Khali, stop lying there and do something! Quickly!" Newt ordered.

I muttered profanities under my breath as I scooped Thomas up and helped Newt carry him towards the Homestead.

As we neared the closest room, I suddenly felt like I was going to pass out.

"Oh my god.." I whispered shakily.

"Kha-"

"I'm fine." I cut Newt off immediately. Thomas was thrashing about and it was getting difficult to keep hold of him.

"I'll take him!" Minho offered, standing beside me and gently easing my grip off him.

I nodded weakly and stumbled over to a pile of blankets by the door. I collapsed onto them, all my strength seeping out of me.

'I am going to kill those damn Creators!' I cursed to myself. I hated them. For everything!

The next thing I knew, I was awoken by angry voices.

"The stupid, bloody shank!" Newt cursed, storming towards me, Minho following close behind him.

"W-wh.. is he okay?!" I demanded, trying to prop myself up through my disorientation.

Newt slammed his fists into the walls in frustration.

"He bloody did it on purpose!" He yelled.

"He's in Jeff's hands now... we just have to hope he gets through it." Minho said wisely.

"Is he going to be okay?" I demanded again, feeling the panic build.

Newt suddenly saw me and rushed over to me.

"Are you okay sunshine?" He asked, worry evident in his eyes.

I sighed.

"I feel like that's all you ever shuckin' ask me anymore. The real question is, are you okay?" I jabbed him in the chest as I made my point.

A small, amused smile appeared on his tired, weary face. It was such a rarity that I was stunned for a moment.

I glanced back at Minho who also seemed to have a small smile on his face.

"What?" I asked. "Why are you smiling? Do I have something on my face?"

I lifted my hand to see if I had anything other than dirt and grime covering the skin on my cheek.

Newt reached his hand to enclose my hand that was on my cheek.

"Oh I do love you..." He whispered, bending down further to gently kiss my other cheek.

I smiled despite the situation.

"I love you too," I whispered back, pulling him towards me and crushing him in a big hug.

After a few moments I buried my head in his neck.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

There was silence and Newt clung onto me tighter, neither one of us wanting to let go.