Chapter 6

-The Shank just can't help himself-

"That slinthead is like a bloody funnelweb spider!" I muttered to Minho as I quickly ditched Leo by the Box. "He can't shuckin' leave me alone!"

Minho looked tired and sweaty having just finished his Runner duty. He gave a weak laugh.

"What I would give right now to be back out there!" I sighed, folding my arms and watching the openings close for the night. "Griever chases and all!"

"What I would give to have you back!" He sighed, his shoulders slumping with weariness.

"Bloody shuck-faces..." I muttered, referring to Alby and Newt.

"How's the Greenie?" Minho asked.

I stiffened.

"He's different Minho. He's different than the other Greenies!" I sighed, watching as I saw Thomas and Chuck approach the back of the Homestead.

"What do you mean?" He asked curiously.

I squinted at the two disappearing figures.

"I know him. We knew each other before the Glade." I replied.

There was silence.

I turned to face my friend and realised he had a funny look on his face.

"Did it ever occur to you that we all knew each other before we came here?" He asked. "You, Newt, Alby and I all came at the same time as the other Shanks yet it was us four that stuck together almost straight away!"

"It's not like that with Thomas!" I replied, shaking my head. "I was really close to him before the Maze! I can feel it! We have a connection..."

"And Newt?" He questioned. I stared at him not comprehending his question.

Before I could reply, I heard the Homestead door bang open.

I stared in shock as Gally appeared like a bull.

He stormed towards Thomas who appeared to be backing away.

"I'll talk to you later!" I whispered before sprinting towards the scene.

Gally was up in Thomas' face, yelling. As I neared, I could hear what he was yelling.

"I'm not a dong, Greenie! I saw Chuck's fat face in the window but you better decide right quick who you want as you friends and enemies hear me? One more trick like that - I don't care if it's your sissy idea or not - there'll be blood spilled. You got that Newbie?"

"Oi slinthead, leave him alone!" I yelled, storming up to Gally.

"Oh, what do we have here?!" Gally sneered, turing round to watch me. "Looks like ol' Greenie here has a body guard!"

"Slim it!" I growled, my fists clenching. Gally and I used to be quite good friends... until the Changing and then he just, well, for want of a better word, 'changed'. Basically, the other week, I had shown him up pretty badly in front of the Gladers and ever since has been finding any excuse to fight me.

"Khali..." Thomas warned.

"Shut up shank!" Gally snapped. "This is between me and the girl now!"

"Oh Gally... You're not still bitter are you?" I mocked, pretending to show him pity.

"Are you asking for a fight!?" He bared his teeth.

I scoffed.

"Come at me shuck-face!" I taunted.

I heard commotion behind me and dared not take my eyes off Gally for a second.

Gally lunged and I side stepped him easily. He whirled around for another attack.