Chapter 9

-It was always going to happen-

<Khali P.O.V>

I paced inside the Homestead, unsure of what to do. Was there any time for me to go out and look for them?

No.

Even if there was, I'd never get past the wall of Gladers. They'd all try to stop me.

I continued to pace. Dan huffed in annoyance the 10th time I passed him and he glared at me.

"If you're that worried, go wait at the gates." He grumbled.

I scrunched up my eyebrows and stuck my tongue out at him. He rolled his eyes, a small smile on his face.

Dan was just a Glader. He was a Builder and friends with Leo but didn't really talk much.

I waited a few moments before taking Dan's advice and trudging reluctantly to the crowd gathered at the opening.

I spotted Newt and Thomas at the head of the pack and decided to join them.

I swallowed down the awkward bubble in my throat that threatened to suffocate me whenever I was near Newt so I diverted my path until I was beside Thomas.

"Anything?" I asked quitely. Thomas shook his head sadly.

"Two minutes 'til the doors close," Newt muttered, more to himself than to anybody else.

He began to walk away as a loud boom echoed throughout the Glade.

It was the sound I dreaded most upon arriving here. If a Runner heard this sound in the Maze, they were bloody done for.

'Come on!" I thought fiercely, gritting my teeth together and clenching my fists.

The right wall began to move, defying all laws of physics as usual. Closer and closer and closer.

"Khali!" Thomas choked, clutching my arm tightly.

He pointed with a shaky finger at the entrance. Barely visible, two figures could be seen dragging themselves towards us.

I knew immediately that Alby was down. Minho had him slung across him as he desperately tried to support him.

Newt came rushing back at the news of the two. He had reached the Homestead and his limp was rendering him unable to reach us at a quick pace.

"They got him!" Minho cried desperately.

Suddenly, Minho could no longer handle the weight of Alby and dropped him. He staggered a little before trying to regain his strength and heave him up.

I was itching to help them. The Door was still closing. There was no way they were going to make it without help.

Minho collapsed to the ground in exhaustion. Newt had still not reached Thomas and I.

I looked at Thomas who returned my thoughtful stare.

He nodded.

"Don't you do it! Tommy! Khali! Don't you bloody dare!" Newt bellowed, quickening his pace.

The Gladers that had dispersed were recollecting around us.

I glanced at Thomas again, the walls getting dangerously close. It was over. They'd never reach the Glade.

It was like our brains clicked as one.

He mouthed a word at me, an eyebrow raised. It looked suspiciously like 'instinct' and then he was darting forward.

I made to follow him. Gladers were trying to block me from all angles. Thomas was already in the Maze, the walls were mere inches away.

Newt had reached us.