Chapter 3

-New Job-

"Morning Shuck!" Minho greeted as I sat beside him at the table.

It was pretty deserted in the kitchen. Mostly full of Runners who were readying themselves for another gruelling day in the Maze.

I grimaced.

"There's something I need to talk to you about!" Minho began, his mouth full of breakfast.

"Finish your mouthful and then explain!" I groaned, pulling a face and placing a hand on his chin, forcing his mouth together again.

A couple of Runners chuckled but Minho looked serious. Almost nervous.

Once he finished, he turned to face me, a sad expression on his face.

"Khali-" He began.

He took a deep breath.

"You need to stop being a Runner!" He rushed, his words tumbling out his mouth in a ramble of sounds.

Unfortunately, I could detect each word and it was like poison in my blood.

"What do you mean?" I asked carefully.

He sighed.

"Khali... Alby, Newt and I all agree that it would be safer if you were to stay here, inside the Glade. Newt told us you are still getting tracked by Grievers. It's unnatural. It's like they are looking for you specifically. The only thing we can think of to protect you is to keep you here, inside the Glade!"

I stood up abruptly. A few Runners looked at me astonished.

"What a load of klunk!" I yelled, outraged.

"Khali-" Minho warned.

I turned on my heel, not caring about what he had to say.

I sprinted out the Homestead in search of Alby.

I saw two figures walking along a path and immediately knew who they were.

I marched towards them and as they realised who it was, they suddenly looked nervous.

I grabbed Newt by the collar and slammed him against a tree on our left.

"You told them!" I growled, teeth bared.

Newt looked nervous and I felt a strong hand on my arm.

"Khali, put him down!" Alby warned.

I released Newt and whirled around to face him.

"How could you?!" I demanded.

"It was the only option!" Alby shrugged indifferently.

"What? Keeping me penned up here like an animal? Forcing me to stay here while others go look for a way out of this hell?"

"Khali, please!" Newt sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder. "The other Gladers manage just fine. You can be with Alby and I!"

I shrugged him off and sneered.

"I can't believe you. You! I trusted you with that information and all you do is trade it in like it is your issue to sort out!" I was nearing hysterical.

"Khali-" Newt began but I was past the point of reason.

"I hate it here! I hate this place! I need to find a way out! I ne-"

"Slim it!" Alby ordered, grabbing my wrist and snapping my attention back to him.

I opened my mouth to shout back a retort but then I calmed down.

"I hate it here!" I whispered, tears threatening to engulf me.

Alby nodded and Newt appeared in my peripheral vision and I was suddenly engulfed in a hug.

I buried my face into Newt's chest as Alby let go of my wrists. I wrapped my arms around Newt's torso and bit back the tears.

I had cried only once upon reaching the Glade. That once had been when Newt hadn't returned from the Maze one day and when we found him, he was unconscious and beaten up.

He'd told me he'd tried to commit suicide and that was the only time I had ever cried. Not when a Griever chased me everyday. Not when yet again, no exit had been found. Never and I had to stay strong, I had to prove that no matter what, I deserved to live and be with these boys when we finally did escape.

I pulled away from Newt who was smiling as he realised I had calmed down.

"What am I going to do from now on?" I asked, afraid of the answer.

Alby looked at Newt.

"Well, we thought you could be in charge of all newbies!"

I opened my mouth to object and then closed it, realising there was no use. If I couldn't be a Runner then it didn't matter what I did, I would be miserable.

"There should be a Greenie coming today actually!" Newt added.

I sighed and turned my back on them.

In the distance I could see the Runners leave through the gap. My heart ached. I longed to be with them.

But maybe it was for the best. Maybe I wont return every night 10x more exhausted than normal Runners from my constant Griever chase. Maybe now I can focus more on helping run the Glade.

'But it's not quite the same' I thought bitterly.

I started walking away.

"Khali, you must be at the Box when the Greenie turns up. I have guards at the opening so don't even try it!" Alby called after me.

"Yeah, whatever!" I replied, flicking my hand in response.

This was going to be a long day.

---

Sorry, it's quite a short chapter :/

The summer holidays have only just finished here and I have been working at the stables so I haven't had much time.

Oh how we love you school -_- Kidding, it's the bane of my existence...

Aha on a happier note, I now have a massive Sherlock poster right next to my bed and it is beautiful and it makes me happy :')

So, on with the story. I have already started chapter 4 so I am hoping to get that to you soon! Thomas will be in it so get ready :)

-TheGamesOfTheGods