Chapter 5

-What?-

"Maddie?" Newt echoed, puzzled.

I shook my head.

"No. My name's Khali!"

The Greenie cocked his head to one side and looked at me curiously. He had dark brown hair, the same colour as mine, and brown eyes. He looked about my age.

"Sorry!" He muttered once he realised everyone was staring at him. "You remind me of somebody, that's all!"

I glared at him suspiciously. Alby took a step forward to clear the tension.

"Khali!" (He put extra emphasis on my name) "Will be lookin' after ya! Do as she tells ya! A few weeks, you'll be happy, shank. You'll be happy and helpin'. None of us knew jack on First Day, you neither. New life begins tomorrow!"

He walked over to me.

"Behave!" He growled in my ear before walking away.

The crowd disappeared with strange mutterings about the Greenie and I.

Newt stayed put, placing a hand on the small of my back.

"You okay sunshine?" He asked.

"Yeah!" I choked out. I was breathing deeply but I pulled myself together and faced the Greenie.

"Don't worry about Alby!" I reassured him. "He's always grumpy!"

"Khali!" Newt scolded.

"It's true!" I countered.

The Greenie gave a nervous chuckle.

"I'll leave you two to it! If you need me, come find me!" Newt waved goodbye.

I flashed him a warning look but he stuck his tongue out and flounced away leaving me dumbfounded.

"Newt..." I sighed."You either love him or you hate him!"

I turned to the Newbie and resisted the urge to run away and hide. Who was this kid and why do we act like we know each other?

"What's your name, Greenie?" I asked, trying to diffuse the awkward tension that was now settling between us.

"Erm... Thomas?" He replied uncertainly.

A memory clicked in my mind and I nodded as if to confirm it.

"Ace!" I mumbled, smiling awkwardly. "So, er... the tour?"

---

After about an hour, we were getting along like a house on fire. All thoughts of early disapperating.

It was almost like we had been together for most of our lives. It felt like I was with Newt or Minho.

He wasn't so nervous anymore and he was laughing lightly at my joke when Chuck appeared.

"Khali, Alby would like to speak to you!"

Thomas and I both got up.

"Privately!" Chuck added, shuffling his feet and looking down. "He said I can look after the Greenie for a while!"

I nodded and gave the two of them a reassuring smile before bounding off to the Homestead.

As I raced up the stairs, I heard an ear splitting shriek.

'Ben!" I thought sadly.

I had always been good friends with Ben. He'd actually tried to make a move on me a couple of months ago but because of my unfortunate super crush on Newt, I rejected him and our friendship was never the same.