Chapter 15

-Games and Grievers-

"I need you to be careful, okay?" Newt asked, tucking a loose strand of hair, that had rebelled from my braid, behind my ear.

"Am I not always careful?" I asked, staring up at him. It was moments like these when I realise just how much taller he was than me. I came to his collarbone and it meant that, besides getting relentlessly teased by the other Gladers, I had to stand on my toes and tug on his shirt to make him bend down and kiss me.

I had to do that now.

As we pulled away, Newt frowned.

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Not really." I grinned. "Stop worrying, I'm more capable than you give me credit for. Plus I'll be with Minho and Thomas!"

He stomped his foot in frustration.

"I don't like this 'staying out overnight' thing." He frowned, glaring over at Thomas and Minho who were busy stretching.

"I'm not going to be any safer inside the Glade!" I argued, placing my hands on my hips defiantly.

Newt gritted his teeth and looked away.

I kept glaring at him, forcing him to relent and agree. Finally he sighed and grabbed me into a tight hug.

"Promise you'll come back to me?" He mumbled into the top of my head.

"If you promise not to be taken by any of the Grievers!" I said,  my reply being muffled by his chest.

He held me tighter before letting go, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Stay with Minho and Thomas!" He instructed.

"Yeah yeah, whatever. Keep working on those maps!" I answered, giving a comforting smile.

Thomas and I had finally figured out that if you place the maps for each section on one day on top of each other, it showed a letter. Teresa, Newt, Alby and a few other Gladers would be working on figuring out the code while the Runners spent more time searching the Maze. It was no longer more dangerous than the Glade so we saw no problem in the risk of being there overnight (if there even was an overnight anymore).

After Minho and Thomas got the run down on all the painful deaths they would suffer from Newt if anything happened to me, we departed with one final wave.

I ran beside Minho, Thomas trailing behind us. It was difficult to begin with. I hadn't done exercise like this for a few weeks. After a while, I got back into the swing of things and quickly surpassed Minho who was breathing heavily.

"Are you even human?" He huffed irritatedly.

I giggled a little but continued to jog a little ahead of the two boys.

After a few hours, a voice in my head made me jump and stumble as I ran.

"We're making progress - found a couple more words already. But none of it makes sense yet..."

It was Teresa.

There was silence for a couple of moments before a new voice rang out.

"Can you hear me?"

I stumbled again and stopped so I could whip around to look at Thomas. His eyes were wide and he was staring at me in shock.

Minho shot me a funny look and I continued to jog before he could say anything.

"Yes!" Teresa cried, her voice echoing around my head. So now Teresa AND Thomas could do it. Why couldn't I?

"Wonder why we can do this?" Thomas asked, his voice wavering slightly with the effort of trying to communicate to both of us.

Be Careful. Don't Die! (The Maze Runner/Newt Fan Fiction)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara