Chapter 1

-2 years before-

Darkness. A meaningless swirl of black that held nothing but the shadows of dreams and memories that could never be reached.

It wasn't peaceful like sleep and the infinite endlessness was enough to drive me insane.

Suddenly, as if a vacuum was sucking up the remaining dregs of unconsciousness, sound and light flooded back into my system.

My eyes shot open for an instant before quickly closing again at the brightness.

After my eyes adjusted behind the translucent barriers known as my eyelids, I quickly reopened my eyes to take in my surroundings.

The first thing I noticed were the boys.

Many were sat in little clumps but three were peering over me, watching me carefully.

Did I know these boys? Where they my friends?

Hang on, who even are my friends? My family?

I shot up into a sitting position, panic flooding through me like a tidal wave of emotions.

The boys shot backwards in surprise at my sudden movement.

"Are you okay?" One of them asked.

As I looked closer, I noticed he had dark skin and an intense frown on his face.

"W-where am I?" I stuttered, looking around quickly.

None of this was familiar. There were a few buildings scattered haphazardly across the land, some trees grouped together in one corner, a huge hole stood at the centre and a boy was hopping out of it, looking confused as tears ran down his face. However, the most interesting development was probably the gigantic walls that seemed to pen us in.

"We aren't sure!" Another boy said, answering my question. I looked over at him and he was an asian-looking guy with short black hair.

I grabbed my head as a pain shot through it.

"How did we get here?" I demanded.

The three of them looked at each other and then the dark skinned one pointed to the box.

"In that!"

My head started spinning.

"Why?" I asked.

"Man, you sure have a lot of questions!" The asian guy said, a hint of irritation evident in his voice.

"And you sure as hell don't have a lot of answers!" I retorted.

A grin stretched over his face at my comment.

"All we know is one minute we are waking up in a box. All forty of us-" The dark skin boy began, gesturing to the rest. "-and out of all of us, not only are you the only girl but you were also passed out longer than the rest of us!"

"Whoa.." I sighed, rubbing my head.

"Yeah, Newt here was the closest to you and he was convinced you were dead! He had a real panic attack!" The asian guy grinned, nudging the blonde haired boy who was the closest to me.

I noticed he hadn't spoken much but my head was swimming too much to be able to focus on his features in too much depth.

"I am Minho!" The asian guy suddenly spoke.

"Alby!" The dark skinned one added.

"And I am guessing you're Newt!" I said, turning to the blonde haired one.