Chapter 12

-It just... happened-

"Come on now sunshine," Newt groaned, heaving me away from Thomas.

I was still trembling by the time he had placed me gently on the floor against the massive oak tree we had claimed two years ago.

He plopped down beside me and began to stare at me.

"What?" I demanded irritably.

"Would you care to explain what the bloody hell you think you were doing?!" He retorted.

"Strangling Thomas." I replied indifferently.

"Well no shuck slinthead!" Newt threw his hands in the air and sighed in exasperation.

When I didn't reply he began muttering to himself.

"It's all his fault." He mumbled.

"What?" I asked.

"If he hadn't turned up, nothing would have changed." He replied, resting his head against the bark.

"What do you mean?" I asked, watching him quizzically.

"Well for starters, you have been acting completely different since he's been here," Newt began. "Then the shuckin' girl turns up. Grievers are learning to trick us and the whole Glade is out of order!"

"I know. I feel different Newt!" I stated, rubbing my arms. "Like a switch has been flipped in my mind. Nothing's right."

"Nothing has ever been right." He pointed out. "We live in a buggin' maze!"

"I guess..." I sighed, turning away from him.

There was a silence.

"Newt, look-"

"Khali, I'm-"

We stopped each other. I smiled at him.

"You first." We said simultaneously.

I groaned and he laughed.

"Khali, about what happened in the Homestead..." Newt began, looking at his feet and scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

"You regret it?" I finished, trying and failing not to sound disappointed.

"No no no!" He quickly denied. "It's just, I don't think I can just go back to the way things were!"

"What do you mean?" I asked nervously.

"I've been waiting 2 years to be able to do that and now that I have, well, I can't just pretend that I don't love you!" He confessed.

"Really?" I asked.

"Shuck it, you don't understand how much it killed me to watch you leave for the Maze every morning and wait for you to return. Everytime you came back and smiled when you saw me, I had to force myself not to hold you and refuse to let go!"

There was another silence.

"Shuck it Khali, what do you do to me?!" He sighed in exasperation, closing his eyes and resting against the tree once again.

My heart was racing. Newt loved me? Newt... Loved me?! Give me a minute just to internally die.

Before I could stop myself, I had grabbed his face and was kissing him.

He responded almost immediately, snaking his arms around my waist and closing any distance that was left between us.

I smiled into the kiss. Newt furrowed his eyebrows as I broke away. I giggled and kissed his forehead which immediately set a smile on his face.